Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought G-K head: Now, G-K cab or other cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joey_g_funk, Sep 28, 2005.

1. I just got a used G-K 1001RB - Series I head in a trade.

I thought I wanted a GK NEO112 cab, but I am wondering:

Is the G-K Biamp/Horn Manangement System worth it?

Otherwise, I would get another brand cab....

Any thoughts?

Yes, I searched the forums....

Thanks,
    Joe

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    It really depends. If you are a slapper, or a lover of very bright tone, I'd say go for the GK cab. You get unparralled control of the tweeter with the GK system. If you're more of a vintage sound guy, I'd go with something else.

3. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I have an eden cab with my GK 800 RB II. It is possibly the best sounding cabinet i've heard heard. Depends on what you want. If you want to be pushing out alot of lows and low mids. This is your cab (imo). It also has a real nice "hi fi" sound. But it works in my classic rock rip off band. Try alot of cabs at GC or wherever. Only you can decide ;).

Schroder or w/e is great as well. As is avatar.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    There are two schools of thought: GK cab, and not GK cab. People who don't use GK cabs can be found using a lot of Ampeg at times, this is probably what I notice the most. BUT, more often tahn not, it's GK/GK for me.

5. I forgot to mention that I need a cab for this weekend, as I am now cabless. I don't have too much time to try different cabs out. No NEO's in the local shops, so I'd be buying online.

I should also include the following stipulation: and "buy another brand at an equivalent or lower price".

I guess I would go towards Dr. Bass' BL series, or something similarly priced...

I do like clarity and studio-like tone. I also like the fact that G-K's crossover is at 5kHz. Eyes closed, is the difference noticeable between:
    G-K cabs biamped
    and
    Non-G-K cabs run full range

Joe

6. I also like a relatively transparent sound, with nice upper harmonics.

I don't like cabs that are colored, or don't sound good with program music played through them. Especially in the midrange freqencies.

(and no, I can't afford Accugroove, EA, etc....)

(I don't play program music all the time, I just like to verify that the speakers are somewhat natural- and musical- sounding.

Does the G-K biamp system help to achieve this?

I've also done regular biamping before (with a max of a 2kHz X-over point), but I assume that the GK system is better, becasue it doesn't use a passive crossover for the horn.

Thanks for your replies,
    Joe

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Congrats on the G-K1001RB head; I have the 2-10" combo version and it's a great amp. I've never player through G-K's cabs but I also own a G-K400RBIII head and I've owned a G-K2000RB head. That old 2000RB was one of the best amps I've owned; I played it through either an SWR Goliath SR 6-10" or a Goliath III 4-10" cab, and I was really happy with the sound.

Every G-K head I've had experience with (outside of 1 faulty out of the box 400RBIII) have been ultra-reliable. G-K also did an out of warranty fan upgrade in my old 2000RB at no charge. IME G-K's Customer Support is great.
    -Art

Cheezewiz: Does G-K's internal tweeter amp work only with G-K cabs?

8. I wondered about that also. I imagine there would be the possibility of re-wiring the speakon input of a regular cab to separate the woofer and horn...

e.g. 1+, 1- for the woofer, 2+, 2- for the horn.

I have never wired OR re-wired a Speakon cable, so I have no idea, but I'm thinking this thing thru.

I don't see why it couldn't be done.

Someone else try it first with THEIR cab, and then let me know if it fries anything.... :smug:

Maybe it would cause an impedance problem?

Joe

9. I talked with Eric from G-K today... nice guy.

He said that G-K can upgrade the 1001RB-Series I 's preamp and poweramp boards to the Series II version for a little over $200 at their facility.

I guess it would be worth it if you were having problems with them, otherwise, I would imagine the difference is marginal. From what I've read, the voicing and EQ centers are slightly different.

Joe

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO unless you're having problems with your head, I wouldn't upgrade a thing.
    - Art

11. OK... back to cab selection......

Here's my main alternative to a G-K NEO112

Dr. Bass BL 1260 (12", 6", and horn)

Haven't heard it, but I know that a dedicated midrange would be be a bonus in the clarity department.....

OR

Would the G-K with it's 5kHz X-Over alleviate the typical midrange problem of a traditional 2-way cab? (i.e. 410+horn, 15+horn....) Is the 12" in the NEO good enough in the "mid to "high-mid" department?

Joe

12. I was just reading another post about freqs - comb filtering and phase cancellation. Apparently the freqs between 600Hz and 3kHz are the culprits in a multiple driver cab. They were discussing horizontal vs. vertical driver arrays....

If I use a 2-way GK NEO cab, the GK 5kHz X-over would elimate phase problems, right? A traditionally crossed-over cab would not?

Joe

13. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Joe, Let me stab at this for you. I have a GK1001RBII head and Neo 112 cab.

I've messed around with speakon input jacks, bypassing internal crossovers in cabinets and using my GK1001RBII head to actively biamp..it's pretty simple to do.Search my previous threads on it if you want. Dr Bass will wire your cabs so you can utilize your HMS with your GK head too. 1+, 1- for the woofer, 2+, 2- for the horn is your game plan. You can get connectors at Radio Shack and make your own speaker wiring for inside the cabinet.

Regarding the NEO112, when it was brand new, it was brittle sounding, a bit harsh. Now that its broken in I LOVE IT. Much warmer. This cab has the upper midrange detail thats missing in other cabs I own. Its a very balanced cabinet with good lows. The tweeter cross-over at 5Khz works so well because the 12" speaker extends high enough to cover whats below 5khz.It dosen't need a 6" mid.

Just for laughs I tried a Delta 12LF in that GK cab and while the lows were nice, overall it was much darker. The Delta-lite driver GK uses is voiced VERY well.

But Dr Bass is nice too, but slightly more $$ I think for the 1260. Tough call, both good choices. Hope that helps.

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Yes...unless you would have another cab wired the same as a GK cab, and use their (or another brand wired the same) speakon cable.

15. Awesome feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

16. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    As I have mentioned in other threads, the GK biamp speakon cable is an industry standard biamp cable, wired to the speakon specs, so nothing odd or magic in what GK does. Same or cabinet wiring - dead stock standard for Speakon. 1+/1- for low (or full range) and 2+/2- for high.

- Tim

17. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    If you're buying blind, I tend to think that the matched cab would be the best bet. Good luck. I wish I had the guts to buy blind...

18. Just order two floor model 112T cabs from LDS. I imagine that I'll be happy with them....

mmm.... lightweight cabs.... I can't wait!

Thanks for the input.

I'm going to wire the Speakons for the G-K HMS myself...

Joe

19. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Interesting. I was reading this thread and thinking - hey, this guy is pretty close to Detroit. Oughtta call LDS...

20. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    I also have the 1000RBII, and a Neo 212, and Neo115.
    The combination is a huge sound. For a while I had a 212 only and alone it is great. If you can get Neo, I'd go with that if you can wait. Having both cabs 8 ohms, opens up the amp to it's max output. I switch between two tones, modern slap and modern Jazz (aka Jaco: Tom Kennedy)...