Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought keyboard controller to beef up my piano skills, hooked it up to PC, now what?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Jan 19, 2005.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I've always been wanting to improve my keyboard skills without having to spend a lot of cash. I was told "get one of those keyboard controller things, you'll have to hook them up to your PC for them to play sound but you'll be able to get a decent claviature without having to spend too much cash.

Well, so I did. I bought a keyboard controller off ebay and hooked the thing up to the Midi out my SB Live. I was hoping to be able to use the programs that came with the SB to jam with this thing, but nada. What program do I need to use my PC as an amplifier for this thing? It didn't come with any software as I got it from the 'bay. Could you guys recommend me a program or two, preferrably not too expensive? I have an oldish copy of Cubase, which I don't have installed right now as I'm really terrible at it. Will that work? Thanks a lot in advance.

2. i do believe that you need a software synth (i've got reason) i think thats what you need...

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Google on "General MIDI Synth" and "soundfonts" for some info on how do do what you need to. I don't do MIDI with my 'puter, so I can't help much beyond that. It'd probably help to start by plugging into your MIDI input on the SB though, no? :cool:

BTW, Cubase will work for a softsynth application, although I think Creative has a simpler app that should've come with your card.

Edit: did you enable the SB MIDI in the Windows volume control app, and turn it up?