Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought Meyer USM-1P on eBAY!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by prockenklang, Feb 15, 2005.

1. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I got a KILLER deal on ebay!!! $2052.00 + shipping on a NOS Meyer USM-1P powered monitor.It has never been used and was only out of the box for them to take the pictures!! The company that sold it is a big AV company in Indiana that did a big Meyer install and had this one left over.It retails for over$5500!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Sweet. This is the one that Anthony Jackson uses on occassion, correct?

3. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I am not sure if he does or not.I do know that he uses a Meyer UPA-1P and a USW-1P.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

There are some UPA-1 cabs on www.soundbroker.com for as low as $900 each right now. They currently list 7 full pages of Meyer stuff, mostly but not all used.

5. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    The UPA-1 is the non-powered version of the UPA-1P.If you buy those,you would also have to buy not only a poweramp,but a VERY expensive Meyer controller in order to use them!

6. Passinwind

Yep, that stuff's all for sale on the site as well, as well as the powered version. There are other controllers out there that'll work though, although they're not cheap either.

7. You'd find that using other controllers with Meyer stuff doesn't work very well. There is a lot of proprietary stuff in there that would take serious reverse-engineering to duplicate. The processor also relies on feedback from the power amplifier. I've tried to process Meyer boxes with the best of the best digital processors (i.e. XTA) and met with nothing but frustration. :D

8. Passinwind

Thanks very much Mark, you just saved me some money and headaches. :cool: BTW, the XTA was what I had in mind. I just can't bring myself to invest in proprietary systems, no matter how good they may sound.

Congrats on the smoking deal, John. You're getting close to what I'm contemplating for a FOH system, and that's just for a bass rig.

9. No sweat...:D
    The XTA is by far the most powerful and best sounding digital loudspeaker processor I've come across, but it just didn't work with Meyer cabs. That sense line is really important.
    I don't think it would be a big gamble to go with Meyer stuff.... It's certainly passed the test of time and the self-powered systems are insane. I drove a big MSL-4/DS-4/650P rig for several years and I've yet to come across another PA that was as lifelike and musical. Even V-DOSC, etc. But, I do understand not wanting to get into that type of system. It does have some limiting factors.

Lots of loudspeaker maunfacturers are spec'ing XTA processors these days and many of them are keeping their programming proprietary. With V-DOSC, you can futz with the output gains, the limiters and some of the EQ but you can't get at the crossover filters.... I recently changed an EAW KF-850 kit over to XTA and used EAW's parameters (as well as a few of my own ;)) and it made a drastic improvement over the old EAW processor.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah, congrats on a "brad johnson-esque" deal! :cool:

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...STILL waiting for pics from the LAST Meyer thread...

~S~

12. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Hopefully I can take some of my whole rig this weekend! Sorry it has taken sooo long to post pics,my wife dropped our digital camera and it had to go back to Sony to get repaired.We just got it back,so I should be able to post some pics by early next week.

13. Looking forward to seeing them. Should be quite a rig.