1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bought my first 5 banger!(Lakland 55-01)more pics added!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 39Reasons, Nov 7, 2006.

1. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    After months of searching, trying different basses looking for a reasonably priced 5 string. I ended up with the Lakland Skyline 55-01 with the Sunburst finish. I’m not too technical when it comes to pick ups etc. and I guess the 55-02 is suppose to have better electronics. I put my 55-01 in my bass trainer and these pickups are pretty hot! Instantly started to feedback and made the headphones distort! I think I made a good choice. I didn’t want to pay over $1,000.00 seeing as it's my first 5er and all. This thing smokes, and I think these electronics will do just fine.
    Thanks for letting me share.
    Joe:bassist:

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I hate you.

I'm DYING for one.
    But, no pics=no bass.

3. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sneaking this post in at work going to take pics tonight and will post them later. I sometimes hate me too it's understandable. I waited a very long time before I made this decision and threw whatever money I could into my "bass fund" for a while too. Your day will come too I'm sure.;)

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    pics. congrats on the purchase. pics.

5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Congrats! I had a 44-01 fretless a while back. Lots of great tones available. You can't go wrong with a Lakland.

Cheers,
    Kevin

6. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Hey, congrats. I just got a 55-01 two weeks ago as well.

The pickups / electronics in the 55-01 are cheaper than in the 55-02, but they're a different configuration too, so I think it's hard to say that they're *worse.* (As opposed to having the same configuration with lesser quality parts.)

Anyway, I like the pickups / electronics. They're very hot, as you've noticed, and it's very easy to get distortion. It's possible that I'll replace the preamp and pickups at some point, but for now, I think they sound great.

Looking forward to pics.

7. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I love the sound of my 55-02, but there are also plenty of people who say they prefer the sound of the -01 series electronics. I've never played a 55-01 myself, but I'd sometimes like a more aggressive sound than i get with mine, and it sounds like the 55-01 can do that (or i could get the new Laklnad pickups installed in mine I guess). Still, I've had no problems getting as an aggressive a sound as I need by boosting the preamp on my head or by using my SABDDI.

Congratulations. Rest assured, you made a great choice in buying a Lakland.

8. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks! Still here at work (California) DYING to go home and plug in! I will definitely get those pics taken as soon as I get home. Thanks for the responses!! Sounds like I made a pretty good choice! Awesome!
    Rawk On!
    Joe

9. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    That was a very long day. Here are a few photos I have rehearsal tomorrow night and will take a couple more of it in action! Thought I'd have trouble figuring out the low B but so far so good. The real test will be tomorrow.:hyper:
    Enjoy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Nice.

Oh, one thing that impressed me about my Lakland was that it was setup perfectly from the factory. I was almost disappointed that I had nothing to adjust. :D

11. Are you the guy that grabbed the last 55-01 sunburst from Mesa on Saturday? I went in there Monday looking for it and was told it was sold 2 days before.

12. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Would I be in serious trouble if I was? Yes that was me sorry:help:

13. :)

I actually put in an order for one thru a friend who works at Guitar Center today. I opted for the maple neck though. Should be in my hands in a week. :hyper:

Oh, and congrats on the purchase =)

14. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I glad I stayed up this late so I could see the pictures! :D

15. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Nice score. Great value for the money.

16. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Our first rehearsal! Wow man this thing has some balls. The lights in the studio kept flickering and the plug in the wall kept coming loose. I have a Korean Era Spector that has active electronics. But wow this thing almost takes you for a ride. Nice! Getting used to the low B our guitarist plays a lot in drop D sounds pretty good so far. Some notes were a little weird but I'll dial it in eventually.
    A few more photos yo!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Congrats! I got a 55-01 a couple months ago with a burst and maple neck.. I absolutely love it!

18. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    An excellent choice.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021