Bought my first 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lakerkobe, Jan 7, 2003.

1. lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    A DeArmond Pilot Deluxe neck-thru that I got new on eBay for 300 bucks. I had a 4 string for a while and liked it(it was my first bass), so I figured the 5 has to be pretty good. Can't wait to get it. :)
  2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Cool, let us know what you think of it when it arrives. :) I started on 4, got a seven, tried some fives and sixes, bought a five, decided to sell my seven (wasn't too much for me or anything just not for me at this time) and then got another five. I like my five's quite a bit so hopefully you will too. :)
  3. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Cool, man...

I'd highly recommend just sitting down with it for awhile and focusing on just the right hand plucking.

String crossing exercises and rhythm drills w/ a metronome on open strings.

If you do it w/ open strings then your right hand muting technique will come together faster to stop the previously plucked string from ringing.

If you're descending (from the G string down to the B) you may have to incorporate the left hand to dampen previously plucked strings unless you're working on a Gary Willis-like muting technique.

After kicking those exercises for a couple of weeks you'll settle into the five comfortably. Just don't get frustrated if you can't automatically transfer the stuff you already know to a five string right away.

It's not even that 5 strings is's just that technique is more important because mistakes are more apparent.

An added bonus is that when you switch back to four strings, your technique will be cleaner than it was before.

Good Luck
  4. lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping to see it by Friday.