Bought my first Devin Townsend CD today

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Well, I got my very first Devin Townsend CD today, SYL - 'City'...and all I can say is wow!

I've heard heavy, but not so consistently heavy throughout the songs like this...and yet melodic too. Truly a genius of a man and an exceptional band, IMO.
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Cool, PanteraFan.

Moved to "Recordings".
  3. was music-related so I put it in Misc.

Or maybe you just don't wanna deal with it?

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    No dude, recordings are for for recordings. You'll probably like Heavy as a really heavy thing and the live disk as well. He has a few random projects out there, all in the guy is a genius.
  5. I first heard Devin on Steve Vai's "Sex and Religion." I don't think a lot of people liked the album too much, but I actually liked it quite a bit. Devin Townsend sure knows how to scream, but he screams with such a beautiful melodic intensity like I've never heard anyone else do. I've heard a couple of tracks here and there by SYL. It's a lot heavier than the Vai album. His voice is very distinct and powerful in a way you don't expect a "thrash metal" vocalist to be.
  6. After further listening, he reminds me a lot of Burton C. Bell from Fear Factory... but with more sustain;).