Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought my first Devin Townsend CD today

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Well, I got my very first Devin Townsend CD today, SYL - 'City'...and all I can say is wow!

I've heard heavy, but not so consistently heavy throughout the songs like this...and yet melodic too. Truly a genius of a man and an exceptional band, IMO.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Cool, PanteraFan.

Moved to "Recordings".

3. Hmmm...it was music-related so I put it in Misc.

Or maybe you just don't wanna deal with it?

;)

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    No dude, recordings are for for recordings. You'll probably like Heavy as a really heavy thing and the live disk as well. He has a few random projects out there, all in the guy is a genius.

5. I first heard Devin on Steve Vai's "Sex and Religion." I don't think a lot of people liked the album too much, but I actually liked it quite a bit. Devin Townsend sure knows how to scream, but he screams with such a beautiful melodic intensity like I've never heard anyone else do. I've heard a couple of tracks here and there by SYL. It's a lot heavier than the Vai album. His voice is very distinct and powerful in a way you don't expect a "thrash metal" vocalist to be.

6. After further listening, he reminds me a lot of Burton C. Bell from Fear Factory... but with more sustain;).