1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bought my first laptop external speaker question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JacoLesFlea, Jan 21, 2012.

1. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    I had a pair of external speakers connected to my desk top via usb connection and ofcourse speaker jack connection. Both left and right speakers work. I set up my laptop and hook same speakers up to it but only right speaker works. I went to check the speaker balance but cant find it. I am use to Windows xp but laptop came with Windows 7 and I cant find the speaker balance control to see if that is what the problem is? Any troubleshooting ideas? Thanks

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You should have a volume control on the task bar that will allow you to adjust balance.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Control Panel>Hardware & Sound. Or just Sound if you switch to list view in Control Panel. Click on your device and you'll have properties, configure, or maybe both buttons available.

-Mike

4. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    start-run-ragequit-enter

5. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    Thanks I am at work but when I get home I will give these a try.

6. This is pretty much it. Under the control panel and sound settings you should find a tab that will allow you to check the speaker settings and volume of both sides. There's usually also a way to adjust the settings for what kind of speakers you are using, not that I am sure it actually matters much.

If you see nothing wrong there, make sure all input plugs are connected all the way. Often if you don't have a speaker cable in fully then you will have distorted sound or sound only on one side.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Good point about checking the connections. Sometimes the plugs are hard to push into brand new jacks, and it seems like they are fully seated when they aren't.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Clicking on the sound manager beside the clock is a quicker way to get there.