1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bought my first real amp yesterday...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by catcauphonic, Jun 9, 2012.

1. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I've been learning on a little Silvertone practice amp for the past 7 months & decided it would be a good investment at this point to step it up a little bit for when one of my several guitarist friends comes over or I find a drummer to jam with. The ST practice amp is fine & dandy for what it is, but it doesn't do justice to certain notes coming out of the bass (which is nothing too special either, but plays well & sounds better on my teachers old 12" Fender.)

I did a bunch of research in the past few weeks mostly reading reviews & amp threads here, then finally stopped at GC last nite to test a few solid state combos that were in my price range. I played a variety of 1x12s & 2x10s including some (like Ampeg & Mark Bass) that were well above what I wanted to spend. I was surprised at how tinny sounding the 12s were, & even the SWR-WM15 wasn't impressing me much soundwise. I just couldn't dial in a satisfactory tone like I had pictured in my mind. At that point was feeling a bit disappointed.

Going DOWN in price, I then plugged into the Acoustic B200 1x15" & was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY by a fat punchy low end, a solid middle, & defined highs - all that with most of the 6EQ knobs in a neutral position. At that point I started plugging a variety of basses into it, then just to be sure, went around to the 12s & 2x10s again. I triple checked the price tags to make sure I wasn't transposing numbers. The B200 lists for $699, they normally sell it for $349, & this one was on sale for $199 (new in box, not the floor model!)

After blowing my pants legs around (without any distortion or clipping) & tinkering around with the bells & whistles for a few minutes more, I whipped out the debit card & made it mine. The only bad think I can say about it is it weighs a few pounds more than is comfortably portable (67#), & it could possibly get me evicted from my apartment if I'm not careful about when i can turn it up past 1! It's definitely more than I need right now, but when the time comes I'll be ready. I'm pleased as punch with my purchase. And for that price - I almost feel like I stole it!!!

:bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, good price. The important thing to do is to find a rig that inspires you to play at a price you can afford and you accomplished that. Now you can get down to business...so get off the computer and get back to practicing!!!

3. El-Bob

El-Bob

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    Good find, congrats on a sweet amp!

4. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    WHAT'D YA SAY JIMMY? I'M HAVING TROUBLE HEARING YOU!!! ha :D

S-Bigbottom likes this.