1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bought my first upright yesterday

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by sonicvi, Jul 20, 2008.

1. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I bought my first upright, a 2000 Eastman VB150 (carved top, lam back/sides) with a Realist pickup and bag yesterday. It probably needs a bit of a setup and new strings but sounds really nice. I paid $1400 which seemed like a pretty decent price for a carved top with a $200 pickup. Here are a couple of pics.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. mattfong

mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Congrats on the bass, looks nice! Good price for a carved top.

I've got the Eastman 305, which is one of the fully carved models, it's a fantastic bass. Eastman is definately one of the Chinese makers who know what they're doing, along with Shen, etc.

3. bilias

bilias

Oct 7, 2006
    Congrats on the bass.

It will probably need a setup. Check with your local luthier.
    If you never player upright before I would also suggest
    attending lessons. Positions, picking etc are much different than the EB.

I hope you'll enjoy the transition to DB as much as I did.

Giannis

4. sonix

sonix

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit
    +1 on getting a teacher.

It is very easy to hurt yourself with this instrument. This is my first year playing DB so we're in the same camp.

5. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Good setup and a good teacher, for sure. Money spent on those two things will pay dividends the rest of your playing life.

6. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    That is a very nice bass for that price, you did well. Enjoy it! I've played every day since getting mine, and that was after not touching my bass guitar for 4 years.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021