Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought my new Stingray!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FLEADOMBOUND, May 7, 2002.

1. FLEADOMBOUND

FLEADOMBOUND

Nov 16, 2001
    Whittier, Ca
    Hey, I just finished buying my new Stingray 4, as well as an Svt 3 Pro head, with the 410 hlf cab. I have waited and saved forever for this setup, but I'm not quite satisfied. It is not as versatile as I would like. My band plays a more hard rock, stone templey kind of music, and the Ray with Ampeg seems a bit too punchy. Assuming I could rearrange my setup (30-day moneyback) what should I look into. I want to find a little more growl, or just more tone altogether. Any suggestions knowing that Deleo's tone from STP is top to me. I spent 2600 big ones, give me some sweet setups because I think I can swindle Guitar Center. Help!!! Include bass, head and cab. Thanks

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Well you could buy his signature bass it's actually cheaper than the stingray Schecter Model T list price $700 but i'm sure its less than that in the shops maybe buy a pre amp as well or sansamp di. Are you happy with the 4x10 maybe try a 1x15 or 2x10 and 1x15 but for a little bit more growl maybe just get an OD pedal just to add a little light growl.

Just a thought.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I would keep the Ray because its a beast :).. You may want to look into a different cab setup or a different head. I would also suggest trying possibly getting a 2x10 and a 1x15 cab... or you could do as I have done and grabbed a BXT 410 hl cab... tons of tone in that baby :)

4. Hey Fleadombound, congratulations and welcome to the Musicman club. What color/neck combo did you get? Nice score on the amp as well.

Enjoy.
    Mike J.

5. FLEADOMBOUND

FLEADOMBOUND

Nov 16, 2001
    Whittier, Ca
    My Ray is Burnt Apple with Rosewood neck. It's sick looking man. I'll try and post some picks. As far as the sound, I'm going to look into the 2X10 and 1X15 setup, maybe with a preamp as well. Anymore suggestions???Thanks....

6. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Are you running the cab at 4 ohms or 8 ? Try running it at 4 ohms and turning the tube gain all the way up. That should take ALOT of the punch out of it.

I had a SVT3-Pro for a while, and got rid of it for just the opposite reason. At 4 ohms it wasn't clear or punchy enough. Having the "tube/solid state" blend all the way to the solid state side helped me alot. On the tube side it was just wimpy.

Dave

7. FLEADOMBOUND

FLEADOMBOUND

Nov 16, 2001
    Whittier, Ca
    What do you mean about the "tube/solid state"? Which knob would that be? Thanks for the help by the way.

8. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    It's the knob that is labeled "tube gain" ? It's tube something. Turn it to one direction and it's tube preamp. Turn it the other way, and it's solid state pre. Experiment. The Solid state side is WAY punchier.

Dave

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Stingray's are nice basses, but you will not get Robert's tone out of one.

Any good P/J with Duncan(or really any good P/J set other than EMG) pickups will get you pretty close.

Might have to borrow his hands to get the full effect.;)

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The basses that DeLeo uses live have EMG P/J & the new Signature series come w/EMG's & retail for $899.99

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I did not know that, Nino! His tone on the recordings didn't sound like EMG to me. Never seen him live.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    On recordings, he uses alot of different basses. I remember reading an article in BP & he uses alot of vintage stuff, off beat basses. I can't remember exactly cause it's 8:30 AM & I haven't had my coffee yet. ;):p

I was suprized about the EMG's too. About a year or so ago, there was a "Pay Per View" on DirecTV & I saw them. It kinda pissed me off because the bass that was available for public sale had Duncan Design Pickups. Well, I have one w/the Duncan Design p/u's & they sound really nice. So, I'm not pissed anymore.;)

13. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    he used a stingray alomist exclusively until it was stolen back when he worked for valley arts customs ( i hope thats the name of the place) we were talking once about the schecters because we both had one of the one back when they were REALLY expensive. keep the ray and if you have to add an eq pedal or something. but i just wanted to say that robert deleo DID use a stingray for quite some time.