1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bought myself a Fender Bassman 100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Sep 16, 2000.

1. The Ampeg BA112, good though it is, finally showed signs of breaking up after three months gigging. I sold it and bought a Fender Bassman 100. I wanted the 400, but could not afford it. he 100 watt is a compromise. Good sound, though. I'll let you all know how it gigs...

Andy

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Andy....what exactly happened to the Ampeg? I have one too, so I am especially interested.

3. Nothing serious! It's a tough little amp, the 112...but I had been thrashing it at full volume (is the US expression 'dimed out'? I think it is...) for three hours at a time twice a week for three months, and I noticed that the tone settings were creeping up all together to compensate for the low volume...and there were beginning to be a couple of wee little rattles. The speaker was at its limit.

Now, I don't believe that any low/mid price practice amp is going to survive extended treatment of this sort, no matter how well built.

So I sold it before it reached a condition where it would be unsaleable, and bought something a bit tougher.

Is all...

Andy

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Thanks Andy. The BA-112 IS a great litle workhorse...:) I don't have a need to push mine as hard, so it should hold up for quite a while.
    Keep us updated on the Fender!

5. Hey, Andy.

Again, congrats! Lovin' my new Bassman 400, too. I'll be interested to see how you like yours in a gig situation...

Plz see your post at the FDP for answer to your LED question. (I'm aka Dan the Speakerman).

6. A fine amp. Doesn't have the clarity of the Ampeg, but I may learn how to dial it one day. Roundwounds may sound better... MUCH more power. Gave the guitar (Strat through a Marshall JTM60) a run for its money. Guitarist was happy....and we played a great gig...

Only thing that worried me was that it was clipping at gain 5....but that's a P bass. I may run it on active next week and see what happens.

Oh, hell...it's a great amp! Really blasted thrugh old classics like 'Black night'. I don't regret not getting the 400...that would have sunk the stage!

7. brought this back to the top. It has been nearly four months, and I am still very, very happy with this amp. I discovered that what I thought was 'clipping' was actually a light flashing to show the thing is working properly....duh!

Still with a P bass, still with Thomastik flats. Current gig is sttraight from the backline...no miking up. WHAT a satisfying bass sound. Great amp for the price. Perfect bar amp.

and Deynn...embarrassing confession...what I thought was the Ampeg breaking up was actually a loose floorboard in the stage vibrating...

God, I feel stupid!