Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bought new J bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 90_feet, May 19, 2001.

1. 90_feet

90_feet

Mar 18, 2001
    Hi i just bought my fris "real" new MIM jazz bas for 310! purple finsh rose wodd fretboared but i have a dilemia one of the callus on my figers came of and i have a gig in 2 days! should i use glue to repair it?

2. Nice bass man. Got any pics yet?

I don't know about the cut.. ask everyone else..they're smart! hehe

maybe this belongs in basses... *shrugs*

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    cool! the exact color like mine... i´ll try to take some photos soon...

i got it new for 300 (of course i was at Phoenix AZ near Scottsdale where Fender factory is :D)

BTW: do you know if Fender sells Basses direct at their factory in Scottsdale AZ??
    how´s the experience

4. berserk

berserk

Aug 24, 2000
    Parma, Ohio
    I got a MIM j bass a couple months ago too, I opted for sunburst and I put a black pearl pickguard on it. It's a wonderful bass. I have faced the same dilemma with the callus several times too. I used that nuskin stuff once and it came off after like 5 minutes, several times after that I used super glue and it worked perfectly for me. I dont get calluses much anymore though, my skin is too thick now.

5. There is this stuff called New Skin that you can get in drugstores and bowling alleys. It's liquid plastic with a little oil of clove mixed in for pain relief. It hangs pretty well but dries thin so you might want to paint on several coats.

6. Can someone please explain to me why every single bassist, regardless of style, owns a J-bass? I don't see the appeal in Fender, never have. I always see them as corporate giants trying to rip off some beginner with a fancy logo and images of Strats floating round in the uneducated heads of these people. Please enlighten me.

7. They sound nice, they play well, and they're not very expensive. And the jazz bass is incredible versatile.

8. That's all just your opinion. You could have at least helped me out by explaining some of the features and characteristics of the bass so that your opinion could be validated.

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Ok-heres some facts but Jazz basses [correct me if i'm wrong anyone]: Dual pickups-more variety in tones. Been round long long time. Basis for other instruments to be copied after. Passive electronics-don't need much work done or maintence. a very well made, good sounding instrument for $300ish [mim]. Classic Design. Lots of replacement parts out there. Everyone [that plays bass] for the most part will know what you are talkin bout when u say u have a Fender Jazz. Come in different Price/Quality Ranges-Got your Squier Jazz Bass, MIM, MIJ, MIA, Custom Shop. I'm overly partial to Jazz basses & fender so take my opinion as you will.[every instrument i have so far is FMIC, plans for another bass is in the works {fretless Jazz or a 5 Jazz or DeArmond] thats all

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it's got a neck, a body, pickups and strings and it makes noise when you play it. ;)

nobody is going to be able to explain to you why a particular bass is worth playing or not in a way that will convince you - it's a subjective thing.

i have an idea, why don't you validate your own opinion? go play a good jazz bass through a decent amp and see what YOU think.

if you don't like it, than cool, it's not for you. there's definitely no crime in that.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    a short guy with a big hat and a big rabbit come into the room and start to sing...

"this is...

"a very merry un-OT thread right here - RIGHT HERE!"

"it's off to BASSES that we go, with this thread here right in tow..."

they prance about a bit and then disappear into the basses forum.

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Us married bassists like them too.

13. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hi PanteraFan. (I'm a Pantera fan myself). I don't get the attitude. You'll find that this group plays a huge diversity of basses, and not all of them are Fender Jazz basses. BTW, my jazz is a 75 RI unlined fretless. :)
    Doc

14. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    :D
    Agreed!!!
    :D

15. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    i had a really nice fender J in the early 90's.
    i never really liked the tone, but i always thought
    it was my crappy amp's fault. now i know that
    i just don't like the throaty mid's of a J bass -
    at least for my playing. i prefer the 'smiley' tone
    (low lows, high highs) of something like a music
    man.

however, i don't need someone to explain to me
    me why folks like them. not my gig - but other
    folks, including Jaco, seem/ed to do ok with them.

p.s. I do think the fender ads for the J and P bass
    wrapped in the American flag are a little over the
    top.

16. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Until very recently, I never liked the Fender basses. Not that I have any grieves against the brand itself but I never liked how they feel, nor I digged the JB sound (though I liked the P Bass sound).
    My tastes in basses must have changed sinced I recently bought a MIM JB and love it. I now dig the soundS you can get form the JB. I like the thin and fast neck (if a proper set up has been done).
    I still like my older and "asian type" bass but for different reasons.

17. Hmmm... I might not like them because everyone else likes them. I've never been one for following trends. Plus, I hate CBS Fender. I did actually play a couple of Jazzes yesterday. The MIM Jazz 5 sounded very mellow with both pickups on full, I turned off the tone and bridge pickup, and got a tone not dissimilar to that of the P pickup in my current bass, only it just doesn't have as much balls. The bridge-only tone was identical to my bass. The B-string was one of the floppiest I've played(or maybe I was just used to the BTB405 I played five minutes earlier;)) and the lack of frets felt very limiting to me. I played a MIM Jazz 4 and the tones was exactly the same(impressive continuity between models, unlike Korean made basses). The neck on both felt good to play, but I could have used a thicker(front to back profile). The string spacing was very good for my playing, and this combined with the mid-rich sound would have been perfect for slap. But I don't slap.

18. The thing about the J that I used to hate but now sometimes find useful is the lack of focus when I mix the pickups. I like MM for growl, cut, and punch, and P for a clear sound that blends well with the ensemble, but I like mixed J when I want my sound to recede into the background or when I really want my slurs to be blurry.

19. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000

Because vintage Jazz basses kick ass. I dont know about the new ones and even the old ones are inconsistant. But there is simply nothing better than a good one. Just ask any number of professionals that use them exclusivly. You could ask Dann Glenn on this board. I dont think these guys would play one because of the reasons you mention.

20. This really is one of the strangest threads I've followed since joining TB.

No disrespect, PanteraFan, but it's a bit odd kinda running-down a particular product then asking a guy(s) to justify a preference for it: a Fender bass, a particular coffee, cheeses, cars, whatever.

Surely the TB Forums should be for constructive comment, help, advice, etc....

Just my thoughts.

Or am I way off, here?

Rockin John