Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought the Ibanez SB7 Bass Synthesizer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gfab333, Jul 7, 2002.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I finally bought the Ibanez SB7 pedal after considering the more expensive Deep Impact and Boss SYB-3 Bass Synthesizer.

You can get a new SB7 for about $77 at your local music store, if they don't mind matching the Musician's Friend price. It's true that this pedal does not have a tracking problem like the Boss, as was reported in a number of TB posts. It tracks fast bass riffs with no problem and has a great funk sound. Check out the Harmony Central reviews using the link below, one post explains the difference between the Boss and the Ibanez. I'm not sure, but if you analyze this pedal's sound, it sounds like it's a combo of an auto wah / envelope filter and an overdrive. Blended together in various combinations, you get a synth-like sound. I happy with it for the price. After tweaking the settings, I managed to get sounds that were superior to the sound samples at the Ibanez site listed below. I got some great Bootsey Collins liquid-funk tone, a ballsey-funkin' auto-wah setting, and a growling keyboard synth sound like the bass track on the Gap Band's "Burn Rubber" and "You Dropped a Bomb on Me".

The case is metal and very sturdy. Access to the battery is quick and easy, via a button that unlatches the top of the battery compartment.

I've heard samples of the Deep Impact and compared it to the Ibanez. If you're specifically looking for the 1980s synth bass sounds which do not have an auto-wah / envelop filter effect (in other words a clean keyboard synth bass sound), then the Deep impact is probably a better choice than the Ibanez.

I'm was just looking for a pedal to funk-out a bass solo, or a song intro, once in awhile. I'm not intending to play it through an entire song. This might be the ticket. We'll see how it does at a jam session or gig. Just my $0.02.

Sound Samples at Ibanez site:
    http://www.ibanez.com/tonelok/tonelok.asp?pedal=SB7

Reviews at Harmony Central:
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Ibanez/SB7_Synthesizer_Bass-01.html

2. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Does the bottom end drop out at all on this pedal? I got a dod envelope filter and it sounds cool except for the fact that all the bottom end disappears when I step on it.

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    ERIC31,

checkout the funkmachine sound byte at the Ibanez website. My settings are similar, except I have a funkier setting for the autowah. the bottom does not totally drop out like with some other pedals. The bottom is still there. However, IMHO, I believe that the autowah portion of this effect pedal accentuates some midrange and hi-mid frequencies. thus, you might perceive that there is slightly less bottom. I haven't gigged with it yet, just tinkered with it at home at low volume.

I'll be using it on a gig on Thursday. I post my findings thereafter.