Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought the Robben Ford & Blueline Live Concert DVD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by gfab333, May 31, 2003.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    This is from the Ohne Filter live concert series. Sound quality and video is decent. Great coverage of Ford's guitar playing and Roscoe Beck's blues grooves bassplaying. Beck plays a Fender Jazz and a 6 string Roscoe Beck model bass. I was surprised to see him playing a 6 because I always thought he played a 5 (given Fender's production model RB5 Jazz Bass). He uses a huge Trace Elliot rig.

If you like Robben Ford and Roscoe Beck, this is a "must have" DVD for your collection.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The six is a 24-fret custom job made by Mike Stevens. Huge neck.

Fender should make this a production model.

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yep, very wide neck on that 6. I forgot to mention that Roscoe plays a few nice lead solos through some effects, sounded like a chorus. He also does some fine chording stuff too. It really adds something to the music, since there's only three guys playing.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah, as great as Manring, Hamm etc. are with tapping, Roscoe knocks me out by throwing it into the songs in a musical way. The first time I heard "Cut Me to the Bone," I thought there was a keyboard on thetrack.

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yeah, Christopher, me too!

I was impressed to find that Roscoe is playing the bassline with one hand and simultaneously comping chords with his other hand in the upper register of the neck. His chording through an effects box (chorus, I suspect) certainly sounds like a bit like a keyboard.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Roscoe's so cool......during his bass solo he breaks a string and keeps going like nothing happened:bassist: Very nice DVD!!!

7. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    You should also check out Roscoe Beck's 90 min video he demonstrates shuffles, walking bass lines and his famous organ sound two hand tapping technique.

Great Bass Player

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks DB5, I forgot about that one.