1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bought wrong effects, returned it, don’t want to make the same mistake again

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by alexcccp, Dec 18, 2006.

1. alexcccp

alexcccp

Nov 1, 2006
    After 2 weeks messing with TC Electoronic G-Major I came to conclusion that I pretty much don’t need anything that it got to offer. Now I think I need distortion and overdrive pedals specifically made for bass. I want to change sound of the note, but I don’t want no echo, no repetition of the note, no stretching of the note, no noise gate, no whammy, and no compression. For now I don’t need Pitch, Filter, and Chorus. And I am sure I don’t need trance sounds of synthesizer. I want to get deep low bass notes with different sound than just a clean signal. Am I going the right way with distortion and overdrive? Is there good 2 in 1 unit? Can you recommend pedals that have good lows(I was unable to get nothing appealing to me on the E string from G-major)?

PS That sure was a long title. :D

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I'm a bit confused by your post, but yeah, sounds like overdrive, distortion, and fuzz are what you're looking for.

Made-for-bass OD/Dist/Fuzz effects will hold the low end well. Other effects will vary. For example, the Big Muff pedals are great on bass, whereas a lot of metal distortion pedals (made for guitar), typically don't work well on bass.

If you'd like to blend your clean signal and distorted signal, try using a blend pedal as well. Blend pedals also allow you to take advantage of pedals that aren't so good on bass by blending in some low end!

You could also look into octave pedals (a.k.a., octavers). Many add a second note simultaneous with the note you play, that's an octave or two lower - a huge plus for deep sub-bass sounds. There's also octave-up, but it's much different.

3. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
  4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    yeah, keep it simple! get yourself a nice overdrive or fuzz. and an octaver. that's all you need!

5. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah! Simple. Just an overdrive, fuzz, and octaver.

And a tube emulator.

And an envelope filter.

And a flanger.

Sir, you're standing on a slippery slope.

6. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    hey! i said overdrive OR fuzz, mang.

:D

7. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I know. But if you're anything like me, you have to have on of everything.

Except some things that you have more than one of...

8. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
  9. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Overdrive: Fulltone Bass-Drive (TS-clone) or EHX English Muff'n (tube-driven grit)
    Fuzz: EHX Little Big Muff (thick smooth bass fuzz)

Buy one of each and be done with it.

EDIT: Also...Be sure to check with this forum before you buy ANYTHING again. We'll save you from a lot of costly mistakes...and entice you to buy crap you hadn't even considered.

10. Amen brother

11. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Seriously. My bank account HATES you people ;)

12. alexcccp

alexcccp

Nov 1, 2006
    I don't think I need fuzz, too muddy for me.

Right now I am looking toward tech XXL bass or Boss Bass overdrive. For distortion Electro Harmonix Little big muff or big muff, what is the difference between little big and big? I assume it's not just the size.

Also what exactly does Fulltone Bass-Drive and MXR Blowtorch do? Are they 2 in 1, distortion and overdrive? Is it better to buy two pedals or one of those two?

:meh: :confused: :meh: :confused:

13. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Hmmm...that's odd. The manager of your bank sent me a Christmas card. ;)

14. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    First off, those do happen to be fuzz pedals, and very good ones at that! :D They're not as muddy as you think, but there's no guarantee you'll love them until you try one out.

The differences between the NYC Big Muff (the regular, American-made reissue) and the Little Big Muff are theoretically minimal at best. I have yet to hear a very good comparison of the two that says otherwise, because the LBM is supposed to be a miniature reissue of the bigger one.

There is also the Russian-made Big Muff. That one's harsher and more like a distortion pedal, but it can achieve similar tones.

The Bass-Drive is a two-channel pedal that can produce some great clean, overdriven, and distorted tones. People who were often disappointed with the SansAmp Bass Driver seem satisfied with this pedal. I'd search for "fulltone bassdrive" in this forum to find out more about it, as I've never tried one and I'm not too sure about what it's fully capable of.

As for the MXR Blowtorch... it's an odd distortion/fuzz pedal that affects the mids, and gives you flexibility on how they're affected while leaving the lows and highs intact. I'd search this forum for more info on that one, too.

Those aren't the only pedals of that sort out there, either. Typically, I've been pretty satisfied with two-channel or three-channel pedals like that. Most people opt for having separate pedals for different levels of distortion, mainly because they might want a completely different kind of tone with one pedal or the other.

15. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The Little Big Muff and US Big Muff Pi sound VERY similar. The LBM has the convenience of a smaller package, a Boss-type 9V power plug, and a damn nice price tag. Also, the LBM is reported to keep the bottom end better. Both of these pedals are definitely fuzz (fuzz>distortion>OD). Muddy is only one of the possiblities with the Muffs, but biting is certainly another.

The Bass-Drive is one of the most loved OD pedals around, but it can't get to the level of a really nasty distortion or thick fuzz sound. The switches are on/off and boost. Basically, it's OD and heavier OD.

The Boss ODB is a common place for people to start. Some love it, some find that it's a bit stale and move on to other flavors.

Do a "search" in this forum for the Tech 21 XXL and the Blowtorch. I know they've been discussed plenty in the past.

For me, I've found that I like having two gain pedals. I use an English Muff'n for a gritty OD and a LBM for a thick fuzz.

16. alexcccp

alexcccp

Nov 1, 2006
    O'K I will try Tech 21 XXL bass, then go from there.

17. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    While I normally poo-poo both those pedals, they are perfectly good for what they are: inexpensive, usable overdrive. I replaced my Boss ODB-3 with an XXL Bass but then quickly realized if I was going to get the tone I wanted, I'd have to spend $$$.

Of course since finding said looked for tone, I've now spent $$$$$ to keep adding to my great tone collection. :meh:

EDIT: Okay nevermind, I see the XXL is $110 and ODB-3 is $90, brand new at least. F that, get a HomeBrew Hematoma or Fulltone Bass-drive, much better pedals for only a little more scratch.

When the step up to boutique only means $40 more than normal, it's even more worth it than usual.

18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I would seriously consider scaling the OD up a notch. Black Cat makes a clone of the old Maestro BrassMaster which was a hellacious chainsaw wave fuzz combined with an Octaver. That is my next pedal. I believe that the cut 'Show biz kids' from one of the early Steely Dan albums was tracked with a BrassMaster.

The combination of EHX BassBalls and a good sub-Octave can be waves crashing on the beach. Make that a tsunami taking out a small coastal village somewhere.

There are better Envelope Filters, but the BB has a character all it's own... Mostly it's the addition of the distortion (by switch) and a fairly slow release with the sensitivity set way low.

I like the Moog MF-101 better. But it's 4x the price ...

19. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

interesting.... bassballs before octave, or octave before bassballs?

20. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

i'm trying this out right now... killer! just like 4Mal said! i've tried the bassballs before and after the octave. i think i like before better, but either way, it kicks! :bassist: why way do you do it, 4Mal?