bought wrong overdrive.....PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scubahood427, Aug 14, 2000.

1. scubahood427

Apr 13, 2000
    i just bought the boss bass overdrive ODB-3. when i was tryin it out in the store, it had the sound i was lookin for (when i had the level turned all the way down) but now i get home and im tryin it out on my amp, its not at all near the sound i was gettin in the store. i guess it sounds ok, but not for the type of music i play. im lookin for a more punchy, tube amp kind of feel. any suggestions??
  2. omarbass

Aug 14, 2000
    I would like to help you, but first there's some info you left out that would make it easier to advise you on this. First off, what bass were you using in the store and what kind of bass do you have at home??? Second, what kind of amp did u use in the store and what type do you have at home. And third, did you notice if any of the other pedals were on when you tried that overdrive??? Supplying this info will make it a little easier to form an opinion on this. :) good luck.
  3. scubahood427

Apr 13, 2000
    im not sure what kind of bass or amp i was using in the store, but at home i play a cort curbow bass on a peavey practice amp....but im looking for more of a tube amp kind of sound without haveing to go out and buy one(i also hava a fender bassman 100, but i havent tried it yet, its at my drummers house) something leads me t believe that i may have been playin through a tube amp in the store, it was kinda old. and no, none of the other pedals were on when i tried it out, i just had the level turned all the way down
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    One good way to get a tube amp sound is through a SansAmp Bass Driver DI, about $150 at GC. For emulation of specific vintage tube amps, the Line 6 Bass POD is good, about $300 at GC. They may ask for more, but I payed less than these prices through the judicious application of my negotiating skills. However, your problem is more likely that you played the effect through a lot more amp in the store than you have at home. I must say that my SansAmp does add o lot to my little SWR Workingman's 12, so it might do the same for your Peavey.
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    dear friend, overdrive is the easy way to make noise. my opinion is that ood overdrive could come out from good and powerful and expensice all tube amps. we, without a lot of monay, could choose 2 way.

first is, if you want an ugly crunchy and destructive overdrive, buy a distortion sustain pedal, i suggest the vintage electro harmonix big muff pi, or the cheaper sovtek version made in russia or the pro co rat pedal

+second is trying with the tube simulator adding them to your rig. good ones are the sansamp tube simulator stompboxes. other good idea (What i used to do a couple of years ago...) is buy a cheap and used valve preamp, even for guitar, and put it before the amp you usually use. i did it with an old hughes and kettner tubeman plus amp (100$) before my old peavy tnt 115 combo, that is similar to your amp.
    good luck and do not forget to try your overdrive with every knob position
  6. the best advice I can give you is try cutting the treble half of the Eq and boosting the bass to about 2 o' clock. if you put the treble at or above the halfway point the distortion gets noisy (not that that is necessarily a bad thing). plus, that pedal really does sound better with bigger speakers and louder amps. I know because I own one of these pedals.
  7. Still got the box, and reciept and had it for less than 30 days? Return it. If you don't like it get rid of it.
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check out Hughes & Kettner's Tube Factor - great little box...