1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boulder Creek Travel Bass Guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yellowmiata, Jul 13, 2016.

1. yellowmiata

yellowmiata

Apr 29, 2012
    Texas
    image. Had anyone had any experience with this travel ABG? I'm considering one for practice while traveling. Thanks!

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I have a regular full sized Boulder Creek fretless 5 acoustic that I like a lot. That's basically another uke bass, I wonder how it compares to Kala and GoldTone.

3. That must be new. Have you looked at the Goldtone Microbass? It is similar, can be had in 23 or 25" scale and uses the same strings as shone on the Boulder Creek, which are Aquila Thunderguts. They are also used on the Kala Ubass as well.

4. Going on a cruise next year. Was thinking about picking up one of these:

upload_2016-7-13_18-11-24.

32" scale total length of 32.25"
    6.8 lbs.
    Built-in headphone amp
    Supposedly fits into overhead bins.
    Pretty spendy at $500
    Traveler Guitar TB-4P Electric Bass Travel Guitar.

JakobT likes this.
  5. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    The Boulder creeks are great for hearing yourself while playing with acoustic guitars. The sound hole on the side projects to you. Don't think it solves issues with others being able to hear you but at least you can hear yourself rock out.

6. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    The tuners on the face would bother me

7. Yeah the full size one will project well, but that little Uke bass size one will only project for practicing by yourself. Plugged in all Uke basses sound like thunder however!

8. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I think MK make a slightly larger mini ABG with regular strings.
    I don't consider any of them "practice" basses.

Oh, and on a cruise... solid body w/headphone amp. I know for a fact, I don't want to hear you next door.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  9. Make one for around $100.

This started as a Greg Bennett Corsair short scale. It actually plays and sounds quite good.

20151031_505-2.

walldaja and 1stnamebassist like this.
  10. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
  11. Mine took about 3 weeks from cutting to finished, but then I didn't have to invent anything like a special bridge or headless design....... and I should have been more patient with the painting, like letting it properly harden before putting it back together. The paint job is less than good and is quite flattered by that photo. The J pup is redundant with only the P being wired up. Being my camping bass i've been on the lookout for a cool bottle opener that will fit in the J pup cavity with no luck as yet.

As mentioned it does play well and sound good. I've actually done a 30 min gig with it at a remote country festival and it was great. Sitting down while playing is its' normal habitat but it did work quite well on a wide suede strap and as for neck dive, it didn't suck completely.

RedVee likes this.
  12. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Love those. I have a red one.

13. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I saw this 23" bass uke at the Boulder Creek booth two years ago at NAMM in Anaheim. They said it would be available later that year for about $500 but it never happened. Instead I had a custom fretless 22" scale bass uke made by Bruce Wei Arts in Vietnam for $480 shipped, added Gotoh tuners and Kala round wound nylon core u-bass strings.

Boulder Creek u-bass.
    Custom u-bass 800.

14. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Headphone amp with aux. (mp3) input...
    20160315_191752-1_resized_zpsfpjxt2ye.

Moonshine :bassist:

BAG, Tanner5382 and bholder like this.
  15. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Very cool! Sweet color!

moonshinegtrs likes this.
  16. The original question was about that travel bass like a kala u bass. I saw one in a store today and just tried it for a minute, immediate impression unplugged was that it has much more acoustic sound than Kala. I have 2 kala which sound surprisingly good through amp but not much acoustics sound. This Boulder creek one is bigger but still compact and the acoustic sound is very impressive deep tone. Fwiw!

yellowmiata and Bassaga like this.
  17. yellowmiata

yellowmiata

Apr 29, 2012
    Texas
    Thanks for the feedback - good to know he sound is good and it has a bit more resonance.