1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bouncing on my tramploline good cardio?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vacume, May 4, 2006.

1. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    Im in relativly good shape, but im trying to get rid of a little bit of flab on my belly. would bouncing on my trampoline help me lose it, or would it just develope leg muscles

2. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    That would probably work. Just do it hardcore so that you get your heart rate going and get a sweat worked up. And be careful! :cool:

3. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Kind of off topic...anybody remember that show with the basketball players that bounced around on the trampolines? What was that called? Too bad it fizzled out, it was kind of a cool game. :)

AuG

4. actually if its fat you are trying to burn, my thoughts are that you'd do better to walk...if you are working up a huge sweat and feel like dying, you are burning carbs first, fat later...unless you don't bounce like crazy, then you'd be alright...

EDIT: If no one believes me, http://www.weightlossforall.com/exercise-best-way.htm
    i actually learned it in my health and wellness class, but i looked for it online just to try to back myself up :)

5. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    hmmmm I heard from a friend that show was fixed, but by "bounce like crazy" do u think jumping for 30 min strate every day would do the trick?

6. FusionArsonist

FusionArsonist

May 4, 2006
    slamball....and no it isnt fixed altho i understand why ud think that at times as the players often get overdramatic

7. It's also really good for your eyes. My wife bounced around on a trampoline when she was a kid, and was able to ditch her "Coke bottle" glasses!

8. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

The reasoning is that at lower intensity you burn more calories from fat as a percentage of the total calories burned. However, at much higher intensity you burn a lower percentage of fat, but far greater total calories. It is not difficult to burn a greater amount of fat per unit time working at higher intensity.

9. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    When I jumped around on ours with my kid, it didn't take long to get really winded. I'd say it's great exercise.

It's more fun, however, to watch my wife and her friends jump on it...

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    So let me make sure I've got this straight: Low intensity cardio burns less fat than high intensity cardio, but it burns more fat in terms of overall % of calories burned? So doing 20 minutes of low intensity cardio will burn less fat than 20 minutes of high intensity cardio, but low intensity cardio will burn a higher % of fat than high intensity cardio?

11. I am just passing on what my health prof. said...I don't actually know much about it, i am not a health major...

i will say from experiance that you will burn more fat, carbs, energy, etc by doing something, rather than nothing :)

12. back in the 80s, people used to have small, round trampolines for their homes that simulated running in place. treadmills were really expensive and crappy back then.

try this: fall on your back on the trampoline and spring back up to your feet. that is an even better workout than just bouncing. the added benefit is that you work your abs pulling your upper body back upright. in fact, after you fall to your back, try rebounding to the right or left sometimes. you work different muscles and get a better workout. i have used this as a workout before.

robb.

13. DERR!

:D

14. someone from germany just read that as

15. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Man...I really want to know the answer to this. :help:

16. to answer your question by what i think i got out of Geoff's statement was that if you do 20 minutes of low intensity work and 20 of high intensity work, you will burn more fat calories than your 20 minute high intensity workout, but the total amount of calories burned is greater with high intensity compared to low intensity (more work = more calories burned) its just that with high intensity work, the body first goes to carbs for fuel, so there isn't as much fat being burned as there is carbs being burned first

17. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Interesting. What I got from his post was that while a low intensity workout will burn a higer % of fat/total calories, it will still burn less total fat than a high intensity workout.

I'm kind of confused, to say the least. :meh:

18. well, that should make sense :)

for instance...i sprinted for twenty minutes, and i power walked for 20 minutes...the power walking burned 200 calories....100 of those calories.
    the sprinting for 20 minutes burned a total of 500 calories...i would say that 75 fat calories were burned, but the rest were carbs, because during hard work for a prolonged period of time your body wants carbs...thats why marathon runners load up on pasta the night before a race :)

at least thats what i got from Geoff's post
    it seems like low intensity is the more efficient of the two methods for burning fat, but thats not to say you can't do it with high intensity workouts

btw, the numbers were all made...i would never sprint if i didn't have to