Bound Fretboards?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheRagingSwede, Jul 23, 2005.

1. This may seem COMPLETELY ignorant, but there is no such thing as a dumb question, soooo...

At some point in my life, I really want to setup an aerodyne bass with a different fretboard, perhaps one with a block inlay or a custom inlay if i can afford it. The question goes like this: I've seen necks with ivory bound fretboards on them... Can you replace a non-bound fretboard with one that is bound, or does the whole neck have to be swapped? Thanks dudes.
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You CAN do it...but it's an awful lot of work...and expensive.

You're better off looking for a replacement neck with the features you want.
  3. You say expensive... but HOW expensive are we talking? 500? 750?
  4. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    FWIW, I would think that a bound fretboard the same width as an unbound fretboard would be less stable. Something to do with torsional rigidity. Maybe someone with more knowledge than I could chime in. I, too, would think it to be an expensive conversion.
  5. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Let's just say... EXPENSIVE!

(I really have no idea, just goofing around :p )
  6. kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    I'm just now finishing up a similar project actually. It was a MIM Fender Jazz with a Rosewood board. I pulled that off and put on a maple board from Warmoth or Stewmac (I can't remember). Put a black binding strip.

It's been a long running "whenever I have some time" project, but cost-wise, the fingerboard was something around $30 (you could actually buy maple cheaper, but this was pre-radiused and slotted), binding was less than $5, fretwire was some extra I had laying around from another project. I also did block inlays that were cut from some spare veneer I had and painted black. Whole project, including lacquer, which is the present stage I'm at..... ~$50~ (for the neck anyway...)

To have it professionally done would no doubt cost a lot.
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    To do this, someone would have to take yer neck of, peel/steam the glue to get the fretboard off get the new fretboard, do the binding, fret it, refinish the back of the neck...or if you used the same fretboard, they'd have to de-fret, rout, refret, do the binding & inlay, then refinish the back of the neck... of course that doesn't include a good set up with it.

Warmoth has block inlay/bound will be cheaper. I would guess that having a professional would run you at least $500 bucks. You have to undo a bunch of stuff to get to the part where you add the stuff you want, that adds to the cost tremendously.

It's like refinishing a poly finished body...half the labor is just gittin' the old finish off.
  8. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I bought a Warmoth jazz neck with pearloid block inlays and pearloid binding on a rosewood fretboard. It cost me around $350 and it is awesome.
  9. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    If you want to do inlays, you'll have to pull the frets and refret

You won't have to remove the board from the neck....

While the frets are out, the inlays would be installed. Then, it's a pretty simple operation to set up a small router to rout a ledge around the perimeter of the FB. The binding is then glued on, and the top of the binding brought down to FB level.

Not a big deal...but considering just the refret and setup will run upwards of $'re looking at least at $100 for the binding, and who knows what the inlay will cost.