Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bound vs Unbound Necks

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by r379, Jul 28, 2004.

1. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Can anyone comment as to whether a bound vs an unbound neck is more stable?

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You mean like the binding on an SG? A little strip of plastic around the fingerboard?

Should not make an ounce of a difference.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    That would have been my guess, but someone (whose opinion I otherwise respect) told me a bound neck would be more stable. Thanks and have a great day.
    r379

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    They need to back off from the glue they are using to put on the binding while it is drying :p .............t

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    If you bind it with graphite reinforced epoxi and glue it with epoxi, sure it will add some 2% to stiffness.
    If you bind it with the ordinary binding plastics and use ordinary glue, you loose some 4% of the stiffness.

It really doesn't matter too much to stiffness, but IMHO it looks dreadful.

6. schuyler

schuyler

Aug 5, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    i agree with what has been said above. this is probably the result of a misapplication of properties from acoustic instruments. on an acoustic guitar, one of the primary reasons for binding the sides of the guitar is to seal/cover the endgrain of the soundboard -- thereby minimizing wood movement due to humidity and temperature changes, since most moisture transmission is via the endgrain. such a guitar could be said to be more stable. the reason for binding the fretboard is to match the rest of the guitar. it sounds like maybe someone heard "the binding on this guitar makes it more stable" and assumed that all binding made all guitars more stable, which is clearly not the case. just a supposition... i believe that most fallacies have at their core a grain of truth.