Boutique amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shakey, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

Apr 12, 2005
    Roanoke, Va
    I did a serch, but couldn't actually come up with what I needed....

I need a good list of boutique amps out there. (Maybe amp builders that are comparable to Benvanente and stambaugh, but in the amp world.)

I'm actually looking into purchasing a Schroeder 1210 cab, and need an amp to compliment a good, clean, sterile sound. This way the only color in tone will be acheived by any pre-amp I decide to use. (such as a sansamp)

Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Why not just get a good poweramp, e.g. QSC PLX and use whatever preamp you like?

It would be kind of strange to buy a Walter Woods and run a Sansamp in front of it.
  3. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

Apr 12, 2005
    Roanoke, Va

Any suggestions on power amps?
  4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The PLX series from QSC is pretty much the 'mack daddy' of the moment. Big power, stable power supply and light-weight. Not cheap but then ...

Steps down but not necessarily out would be Crown CE series. Mackie 1400i, QSC R series ...

If you aren't totally convinced on the power amp / pre amp setup, I'd take a listen to the GK 1001 RB II. Very clean, very clear. 480 watts in to 8 ohms, 700 in to 4. $600 delivered from Rik's music. The other more expensive but very impressive amp is the iamp 800. A beauty piece of gear. Many others but I've played with both and they are both extremely good amps.

I recently moved from a Demeter 201s and Crown CE-1000 to the GK. I'm not missing the rack setup for the weight and bulk. I will miss the Demeter in the studio as the DI to my recorder was great. The DI on the GK is very, very good, fine for live work and OK for a project studio. Not quite in the same league as the Demeter though. Not anything I would notice in other than a critical recording / monitoring environment though.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    QSC PLX, sound good, light, reliable.
  6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I'll second that!
  7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Eden Navigator+qsc/plx=awesome

Other thoughts:
    Eden wt800b

Maybe eden is now too mainstream to be "boutique," but, they work awesome.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Great list of boutique amps, but you don't necessarily need to go boutique (and spend the associated green) for a non-colored amp...unless there's a panache factor as well.
  9. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

Apr 12, 2005
    Roanoke, Va
    WoW, Thanks for the great replies.

I think this gives me some info to go on from here...
  10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I know EXACTLY what you mean G! :D ;)

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    LOL....funny, I thought you might ;) I just didn't wanna say it out loud this time
  12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    If your gonna spend the green, get something to match.

Matamp...custom hand-built boutique :D
  13. I find the key to boutique amps is the size per volume ratio... great sound (not necessarily better than Eden, SWR, EBS and other larger manufacturers' amps) but in a very small package... usually with unique design parameters like class D power, etc.

My short list of truly boutique heads:

Walter Woods Ultra 1200
    AI Focus/Clarus (new Series III coming out in a few months)
    Thunderfunk (a little larger, but still relatively small and light)
    Epifani502 (and very soon, the 902)

All of these amps are amazing. The preamp/power amp thing is also great... but if you are a working player (i.e., multiple gigs per week), these all in one amps are simple, small, lightweight solutions that sound great. They all have their unique sound, but can be EQ'd to be relatively close to one another. Once you get into the power amp/pre, you are either talking about a rack or multiple pieces (not necessarily bad... but larger and heavier and more to carry around!

All other things being equal... I think the TF550 with switch is the best value out there in the boutique world.

PS I don't understand the 'non colored' association with boutique... all the above amps (yes... even the iAmp) definitely has its own inherent sound.
  14. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    How about a Glockenklang Bugatti?
  15. +1 on any of the Glock stuff too. That's a line of heads that I've never had the pleasure to play, but I've heard good things. If they ever get the specs of the Heart Rock into two rack spaces and 10 pounds lighter... I'm there! :D
  16. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I'd have to say an Aguilar DB680 & DB728
  17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I like the Orange better :bassist:

18. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Better yet Orange custom shop MK1, MK2 or MK3 ;)
  19. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Quit bein a pansy and get it! ;)

Seriously though, it doesn't get any better than Glockenklang.
  20. You have no idea how many times I've almost take the plunge. I have heard that the Soul Heads sound great, but are a little underpowered... the specs on that Heart Rock look just perfect. However, my days of three rack spaces and 40+ pound heads are over :D