1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boutique Basses In The Real World

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KayCee, Mar 6, 2006.

1. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I've only ever gigged with my Pedulla, or my upright (which is worth about the same, and is probably more delicate).

2. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    During the "accident", the my mic stand was actually broken in half. The two idjuts involved were almost "regulars" at the gig. Yes, one paid for a new stand, and the other paid my bill for the materials which I purchased to make the cosmetic repair myself.
    Total bill was actually less than $50.

It made me wonder what would have happened if they would have broken the neck of the (neck-thru) bass in half, though. No way in hell they would've volunteered to pay the bill for a new bass. I would have been forced to sue them or take the loss. The chances of some drunk in a bar being covered by insurance for this kind of things seems like it would be pretty remote. Same kind of people that drive around with no auto insurance.:rollno:

Anyway, it was a close enough call that it made me wonder how much it's really worth to have my "perfect" axe onstage, when 99% of the people in the audience (musicians included) can't appreciate the difference in the sound of one bass -vs- another.

3. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    It seems to me that you were VERY lucky that this guy was insured. The small claims court process would be endless, I'll bet. Even if you got a legal judgment, it doesn't mean you'd ever see any money.

4. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I should have added that my gear is insured.

M

5. Herein lies the point. Insure your gear if you are playing out (even if you're not).

6. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Very great advice Matt. You would insure an engagement ring, your car and your house. My bass costs as much as many engagement rings and if you have a boutique bass yours does too. Insure it! Again, great point!

7. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    re: "what's the point of owning it if it sits at home?"

exactly -- it's made to be played, not just admired. If you're worried about a nick or a scratch ... take precautions, or don't take the gig.

8. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Another Sadowsky at every gig. But I don't leave it out on a stand if there's any chance chance at all of someone coming along and knocking it over.

9. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I've played in places that made Bob's Country Bunker look like Caesar's Palace and I've never been afraid to have a few dings in my instrument. What worries me is all the shifty eyes and sticky fingers!

+1000 on insuring everything!

10. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    I have a Ferrari and a Toyota (I don't have a Ferrari), I might not drive the Ferrari in the winter, I might just take the Celica. If I go out to WalMart (of course the question that follows is: if I can have a Ferrari, why am I at WalMart? :)) I might drive the less expensive vehicle. It doesn't make the trip there suck because I'm slumming in the less expensive car. Might actually be kinda fun!

When I go to the exotic car show or out to the fancy restaurant (that I can obviously afford) with my super-model girl friend, I take the Ferrari.

It's nice to have options.

"Waiter! There are snails on her plate!"

:smug:

11. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    GOTTA take the bass you want to play, regardless of price. If I take a 3k bass, precautions are taken; back into the case it goes if it's off my shoulder.

12. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    If I pay a couple grand plus for a new bass, that sucker is getting played. Anything over a grand is gonna hurt if something bad happens to it Hell, if I paid $550 for my favorite bass and it got trashed, I'd cry (which is the price I paid for my 'Ray, new, in 1987). That being said, I very much doubt I would bring a real '62 jazz bass on any gig, period.

If you are afraid of getting your axe hurt at a gig, then you should be equally afraid of getting yourself hurt. You are way more valuable than any bass.

13. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    do i bring out my $250.00 hagstrom? yes.
    do i bring out my $6k+ smith? yes.
    do i bring out my $2k +nscr5m? yes.
    guitar stands? no way! never! in the case when not being played.
    if i have more than 1 on a gig i lay the bass on it's case, near me on the stage. insured? hell yes!
    i've seen too many instruments get dammaged due to guitar stands.
    reading this thread confirms it even more for me...stands and dammeage go hand in hand(unless you have a rack stand and guitar tech)
    if it's already down, it can't get knocked over.

14. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh

we were touring and played at the hellhloe in Flint MI called the Metropolis and they had very oldschool tower mains that were precariously balanced next to the stage. the right was chained to the cieleing and the left where I play no chain.
    Well mostpit ensues and somebody hit the tower stand with significant force and the tower crashed on my stacked rig!!!
    putting a 8" hole in the floor not to mention ruining both cabs.
    Well the owner claimed that he would pick up the damage via his insurance.

2 months later him blew off every call I made so I took my story to small claims. [Small Claims is a mess of the legal system and should be abolished- by the way.]
    Well nobody on thier side showed and they defaulted.
    I waited the time and the got a "writ to sell" which sends in the sherrifs to confiscate gear to auction until I got my $2000.00 back.
    Well needless to say I got a check in the mail from the bar within that week.

Although I think small claims is a joke and mockery of any organized legal system It got me $$ enough to buy new cabs.
    Small claims almost always sides with the small guy- If you are the business owner your gonna lose even if you are right and have a mountian of evedentiary finidings!

15. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    and that is why we have beaters. but yea. i buy a bass to play it. the first dings hurt the most.

i do a lot of running, and whenever i get new shoes i think they look all awesome when they're brand new, but after the first few stomps through the mud on a rainy day i'll just be like "OH NOOOOOO!" when i finally stop running and look down i'll just be like "awww dude... my shoes are freaking studly..."

so, like my precious shoes, i buy basses to use them.

16. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Glad to hear it worked out.

I have to wonder when it involves individuals, though. A lot of these barflies don't have two nickels to rub together...they're "judgment-proof".

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

If I put 2000+ into a tool, it'd better handle the rough job as well, if not better than a cheaper one.
    My basses go where I need them.

18. mhart

mhart

Jan 19, 2003
    Daleville, Ala. USA
    My primary bass is a "fully loaded" 3.5K+ Roscoe LG3500 (although I got a great deal on it at 2.5K). There are some places in which the Roscoe aint going. Yeah ..... I bought it to be played and not to sit and admire it in it's case. But if I'm playing in a "scuzzy bar" full of drunks ( which is seldom ), it WILL stay home .... I take my "well worn" jazz or my Hohner P-bass copy.

19. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Maybe the audience can't appreciate the difference, but you sure do and that can have an impact on your playing to the point that the audience notices it.

20. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    I use the `Wick every time I play, basically because it sounds like the **** and and makes the whole mix sound better. It`s better to play, but when I want to trash around on stage, not caring about anything, I use the RBX350.