Boutique Coffee

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bucephylus, Feb 26, 2006.

1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    So, Coffee is my preferred drug of choice for the gig. Anyone else? You may not be able to afford boutique bass gear, but almost anyone can afford boutique coffee.

Of course, you CAN drink Maxwell House or something for the big buzz, but I've gotten so I like the Boutique beans the most. At one time, I used to buy from the Coffee Connection in Boston. They were OUTSTANDING. They had all the varietals, and would roast the day they shipped. However, they were so good, that Starbucks, in its rise to prominence, bought them out and eliminated the business. Or, that's the way I heard it.

More recently, I found this outfit:
    in RI, that is expensive, but delivers excellent beans.
    Do any of you thumpers have other good sources for the enlightening fruit?

Another thing is how the coffee is brewed. I've gone to the French Press almost exclusively, which seems to wring the most taste out of the grounds. Anyone have any better ways to brew?
  2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Coffee Conection was my first job,I loved that place.Good People.

Eventually I tried roasting for them. Way too much work(Lower allston warehouse no AC middle of the summer, 115 degrees in that building, hauling around 120lbs bags of coffee and then being responseable for seconds of time to get the roast right. ...... Too Much.....

You heard right. The big things Starbucks wanted was the espresso knowledge (they had terible espresso)and the contracts to half a dozen farms that grew spectacular beans.

The French Press is the way! here's some tips

1) Grind rough like the roughest sand you could imagine.

2) Wet grounds in french press with room temp water and let stand for 2-3 mins use as much water to make mud out of the grinds.

3) Use water thats below boiling (Ideal 107) for brew, stir it up and let brew for 4 mins.

The only other method I ever enjoyed was a product that CC sold called the KONA.

It was a buetifuly made machine that looked like a science experiment.

Imagine a a large brandy sniffer with its flute going down into a beaker. with a bunson berner underneath.

The Sniffer has a valve/filter it he base of it . The Grinds are placed in it. THe beaker has water in it. as the water boils the steam ceates pressure within the beaker and forces the water up the flute.The water travel through the valve and into the Sniffer were the coffee brews. I/you would then manually remove the burner and the sorce water would start to cool. Eventually theres negitive pressure in the beaker and the coffer is sucked back down the flute (filtered by the valve).

this thing was a wonderful combination of elegence and science it was a great ritual/show and made the best cup ever!

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I like coffee. Actually, @ 5 to 7 cups a day, "like" maybe an understatement.

I like plain old French Roast. I love GI coffee the most (the ones in the 20# cans). These flavored coffees that the Starbucks crowd seem to like (and ruin by adding cream and sugar) are for nancy boys IMHO.
  4. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Check out some of those threads on coffee.

I enjoy both coffee and espresso. I have some pretty basic equipment: grinder, coffee maker, espresso/milk frother. I usually get coffee from the coffee stand in Wegmans (NY/PA grocery store).
    Some of the guys on this board roast their own, too.
  5. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    I did check out those threads. There are some links to bean sources, but I didn't see any focused discussion; ergo this thread. BTW, the database for bean sources seem to be a dynamic thing which needs a refresh on a regular basis.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If I don't roast my own, I absolutely love the Sumatra Blue Lintong from San Juan Coffee Roasters which is a couple hours north of where I live. Simply amazing as espresso. It is definitely worth the drive to get a couple pounds and fresh cup, or three. :D

A few blocks from my house, a good friend of mine runs his own roaster. Olympic Crest Coffee is great stuff as well. I have yet to find a better decaf. The "white coffee" roast is awesome. I may drive down and get a pound now that I'm thinking about it.

7. Not helpful, being that Im in Australia, but we have a shop called Monjava that roast their own beans and make excellent blends - especially the PNG High Mountain beans.

Love coffee!!!
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Even what I've had from them couldn't compete with my best home roasts though and I've only got 25 roasts under my belt.

9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Surely you meant to type "197"? 195 to 205 is the appropriate window for coffee brewing if the most extraction possible is desired. About 201 is the sweet spot.

When I brew in a press I boil the water, let it come off boiling and hit the grinds as the temp starts to come to 201. I let it sit for about 90 seconds before I stir. Then I stir and let steep for about 3 minutes or less. I also use a slightly finer grind than what is usually recommended for a press pot.

Great coffee can be had from a drip machine too. It's just that most drip machines don't even come close to the magic extraction window, resulting in subpar coffee. I brew in a press or a one cup pour over in the evenings but I use my Presto Scandinavian drip machine in the mornings out of convenience. It does get up to the proper 201 degrees and is known for that. Great coffee maker for 40 bucks. If it wasn't for the existence of the Presto I probably would have a Technivorm brewer.

Also, a decent burr grinder will greatly improve the quality of your brewed coffee.

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Wow..... May bad thats a terrible typo even by my standards.

All this is right on;)
  11. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I thought so but just makin' sure before some poor sap tries it.

13. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Great links, guys! Looks like quite a few I'll have to sample. Please keep this rolling...
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, me too. Here are links to the two I mentioned:

San Juan Coffee Roasting Company. The web site is very basic. You can tell these guys aren't internet savvy, but the coffee rocks!

Olympic Crest Coffee Roasters. If anyone decides to give my buddy Chuck a try, PM me first. I'll hook you up with some samples.

The Cabo Coffee Company. I forgot about these guys earlier. This is some good coffee. If you go down there, they will take you on a really good in depth tour of the entire facility and growing grounds. The online store was shut down because of demand. You'll need to call or go in person if you want some. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. :)

15. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
  16. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Wow, you all are way into this! I find that, as long as the bartender throws some tequila and kahlua in it for me, I don't really care where it came from or how it was brewed.

Yup, I'm a philistine.
  17. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    coffee connection...what a blast from the past!

i miss their coffee immensely.
    george horwell was a coffee wonk extraordinaire...he even answered questions for me when i was thinking about writing a short story involving ghanaian coffee and possession. (he said their coffee was muddy, at best.)

i still remember, having moved to the boston area, walking into the Garage in harvard sq., smelling the coffee and being overcome with the need to try it, and falling deep in lust/love with his offerings...especially a la melior (french press).

when he sold out to au bon pain (or charbucks...i thought it was abp...i am open to correction), i was crushed.

*am playing, in my mind, queen's 'another one bites the dust'.*

ethiopian yrgacheffe here, please.

ps...has anyone tried kopi luwak? something about wild felinoids crapping my coffee @ up to $450 a pound, unroasted, doesn't inspire me to grab a cuppa.
  18. Man, all I do is throw a handful of coffee grounds in the pot, and boil it until is can etch glass and the caffeine content classifies it as a biohazard.

If you ever want to learn to eat REALLY badly, hang out with Boy Scouts. Yeek.

Rock on
  19. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If you like yirgacheffe I've got some killer Kenya AA Gethumbwini that you'd love. Unfortunately I only got a pound and sweet maria's sold out in a few days.

I can pretty much guaranty you it's not worth it!