Boutique Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I am going to be ordering a few new sets of my favorite strings, DR Fat Beams, soon but just to try something new I was gonna throw in one set of "boutique bass" strings. Something like Fodera,Alembic, etc., but my question is are they really any different from normal bass strings?
  2. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    How about a set of Thomastik Infelds? I personally think the Superalloy set rules the earth, but that's just me...
  3. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Don't know if they rule the earth, but they may rule North America. I have 'em on my Joe Osborne and the tone is great across all four strings. The E isn't boomy and the G isn't tinky. Tinky? Is that a word?
  4. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Ok, I'll give you North America... :)
    I have them on my JO as well (fretless USA, lp blue)...
  5. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    i use only the finest boutique strings handmade from the choicest bits of steel forged within the fiery depths of Mordor. They are wound with wire curled by dragon's teeth and tempered to perfection. They are simply the best boutique strings ever.

All kidding aside, I don't quite understand boutique strings. Rotosounds do it for me.
  6. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I use common garden variety strings, BUT.... I smear booteek BBQ sauce on em first.

Really tho, is there such a thing as 'tique strings? Or are they just relabeled sets from the big string makers? Apart from minor changes in gauges, that is.
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Just because strings are made by one of the big string companies doesn't mean that they're the same as if you were to buy say, GHS, or D'Addario, etc. Every luthier I've heard discuss their contract-manufactured strings has said that their strings are made to different specs, etc. I tend to agree that they're different from my ears.

I use Dingwall strings currently. They're made by GHS I believe, but don't sound like GHS or look like them.
  8. Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I guess I'll have to try a pair out and see how they go