bow and pizz string

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Bijoux, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    I just saw an ad for some new Dean Markley strings designed for electric bass guitar. they are supposed to be easy on frets and fingerboard, so the strings are flat wound over the fingerboard and roundwound at the bottom between the end of the fingerboard and the bridge. This way they are supposed to retain some of the feel of roundwound strings and sound. I don't know if it works.
    But it made me think that, what if the same theory was applied to double bass strings, and if we got strings like the Eurosonic for instance and it had a different coat only at the end, between the fingerboard and the end of the string?
    Would that solve the eternal problem of bow x pizz?
    would that alone make a string bowable?
  2. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    That is really a great idea. It is funny that you you wrote that because I was just thinking about that yesterday. The Eurosonics would be so much more appealing if they could do something like that. You should write to them and ask.
  3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I'm not sure this would work great.
    Making a string non-homogenous in construction would be disastrous, IMHO.
    The vibrations and wave patterns would become non-linear and give unexpected results.
    Maybe that would be interesting though! :)
    At least the differences should be kept at a minimum to provide better bowability, if that's what you're seeking.
    Sanding the bowed area doesn't help?
    Using nylon hair (like those cheap Glasser bows) either?
  4. A REALLY bowable Eurosonic... Sounds like the holy Grail ! Your idea is really interesting.

Francois, dear String Guru :p , I've had very poor results with sanded Eurosonics, I wouldn't advise it. I never got paid to bow anyway, so no I am learning to slap instead. I guess the strings really changed me musically !