Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bow Bouncing (a la rabbath)

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by SirFunk, Sep 13, 2005.

1. SirFunk

SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    Hey I was wondering if anyone was familiar with a certain bowing technique i've heard used by Rabbath and Renaud Garcia-Fons (I'm sure other people use it to). Anyway, it's really hard to describe, but it sounds like they are bouncing the bow off the string, but it's VERY clear and controlled. I've tried doing what i think they are doing and my bow just skids across the strings making horrid sounds.

Aq Jn from Etremundo by Garcia-Fons has this at the begenning. Can anyone explain what they are doing? I'm thinking it has a lot to do with pressure and bow speed. Are there any books/videos that talk about this? I'm guessing art of the bow might have something, but i don't really have $90 to spend now.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I got introduced to the basics of off-the-string bowing when my teacher had me simply bounce the bow off a single string without attempting any horizontal movement that would start the string.

It was just a quiet bing bing bing bing bing sound for quite a while LOL but worth every second of practice IMO

If you grab one of those Rabbath CD's he's got demonstrations of the strokes he uses to rip out all those impressive licks yes I agree it's awesome and we're very lucky to have role models like Rabbath with such facility!

There's so much that may be going on bow-wise when they're doing those super-licks. Maybe it's near the tip where the bow can bounce very fast and they're only moving it in a single direction (usually upbow and eeking out maybe 4 or 6 notes (two groups of triplets) out of it)...or maybe it's one of those jumping bowstrokes. All the strokes have names but I don't pay attention anymore I just know what's being called for when the music notation asks for something specific sorry if I make no sense to you.

3. SirFunk

SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    Thanks, that definitely gives me some ideas. The Art of The Bow video is slowly moving it's way to the top of my to-buy list :-D Right now i'm mostly interested in the slower bounces, they sound almost like plucks, only.. with the bow. Actually, i'm listening to it right now, it almost reminds me of a hammer dulcimer with mallets :-D man, i want one of those video's now :-D

4. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I don't have that one. I've got the first video CD that he put out instead...given to me by a kid who wanted bass lessons and I bartered with him for it.

Hopefully Rabbath's second CD is more indepth on the various strokes...maybe somebody who has it will bump into this thread and let us know what's inside it