1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bow Case - Different/Bigger for German Bows?

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Steve Freides, Oct 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    I bow French but used to bow German, and I have both kinds of bows. I tried a German bow in a case I've used for French Bows, and the frog is big enough that it's a pretty snug fit. Not that I have to force the frog into the case, but almost.

I use pool cue cases for my French bows. Do they make a different case if you intend to carry a German bow in it? My memory is one case size fits all, just looking for confirm that this is the way it works.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

2. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    It depends on the case. Some are form fitted to a specific style, others aren't. To add insult to injury, not every bow is the exact same length. I think things have become more standard in recent bowmaking, but as an example, I have a pre WWII German bow that is shorter than many bows I've encountered.

I think if it fits without too much trouble and you're not putting undue pressure on the frog or tip you're good.

Randy Ward and Steve Freides like this.
  3. jleguy

jleguy

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
  4. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Steve, if the case is too narrow for the German bow just back the screw out all the way and take the frog off of the stick.

5. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    That one is discontinued but I get the idea - thanks.

That seems like more trouble than I'd want to go to - there are other alternatives like the tube mentioned above. None of this is for me, btw - a friend bows German and was eyeing my pool cue cases, asking if there was anything similar for German bows. I appreciate the thought, though - if I had to make it work, that's a way that I wouldn't have come up with on my own.

-S-

6. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Do they make German-specific bow cases? Are they real expensive? My teacher who bows German uses a bow case; I've never looked closely at it to see if it's a tight fit, specially made, or whatever, though.

7. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Most bow cases I've seen will accept either style.

-S-