1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bow Cases

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by joenoone, Apr 13, 2009.

1. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Hi,
    Coming from a violin background, I never needed a separate case for my bow. That said I'm now looking around for a bass bow case and I am amazed at how expensive they are. What's the deal? I mean they're the same prices as a violin case (which also holds the bow). I understand the need to protect a bass bow for transport but a bow case isn't overly complicated nor is there a ton of precision needed in it's design & construction.

Anyone know of a decent inexpensive case? Cheapest I was able to find was more than $50.

2. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Do you know someone with a sewing machine? I had a friend sew up a sock similar to one of these:
    http://www.bassworks.com.au/store/category30_1.htm

As I recall, the dimensions were about 4½ inches wide and 32" or 33" long.

Satin-type cloth inside doesn't pick up the rosin; velvet-type cloth outside protects the bass; drawstring to tie it around the neck. It doesn't flop around under the bridge because it lies behind the tailpiece.

It works perfectly for me, with the Full Circle wire routed out of the way.

3. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Like that sock idea - that way you don't need an additional case.

One idea I had was getting some PVC tubing and putting in padding and felt inside it to protect it (a cheap hard case I thought), and maybe even splitting it in half lengthwise and putting a hinge/latch on it. Still, thought I'd as to see if I could find something that looked a little nicer before building my own.

Another bow case question (general question to all) - does using a bag cause rubbing of the bow hair when inserting/removing the bow each time? If so, doesn't this wear down the bow hair faster?

4. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    If you mean in the sock, no. It has a satin lining, and the bow slides in and out very smoothly. Anyway, I slide out the bow on the stick side, not the hair side, but I don't think it matters.

5. I have two of these from Upton and I'me very pleased with them. They are priced at $45.00

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Go to an art store and buy a tube for shipping artwork, the have a 2"x30" that fits a french bow nicely, all you need is foam on one end cost about $2.

7. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I was looking at the cardboard tube the bow came in and had the idea of (don't laugh) a fishing rod case. You can go simple, a sturdy waterproof triangular case, or a case big enough for two bows. Heck, some of these look nicer than the cheap bow cases.:smug: I think I'll go look at bass pro this weekend for ideas.

8. I've done the PVC tube thing, with a couple of jam jar lids as end caps, some foam to protect the tip and screw, and a satin sock inside. Works great as an impecunious student device.

Fishing rod and pool cue cases can work too.

9. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    the website from these links is www.basspro.com, the bass pro shop :)

10. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    BobG's case is a very good value, I think. I bought the single for myself and the double for my nephew. If you have a good bow, it's worth it.

11. I've been told a pool cue case is a pretty nifty and economical solution.

12. CPike

CPike

May 28, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Pool cue cases are SO "retro" too, lol. Saw a lot of them back in the '80s, but they normally only fit a French bow. $50 is a good price - I paid $100 for a nice double German case about 15 yrs ago and it's still in great shape considering the mileage. A good quality bow case is a wise investment for your stick(s), esp if you carry a spare...
    Chris

13. GuitarFreak664

GuitarFreak664

Aug 9, 2007
    I've got one too, they seem to be almost every bit as nice as all the others costing twice as much. The only downside is that they don't have a specially molded area to hold the frog in place like some of the other more expensive models, so narrower bows (like my codabow) can slide around a bit. This is easily fixed, however, by keeping a cloth for your bow in the "tip" end of the case.

14. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    I prefer to buy a case with an open square internal area anyways, then i can cut some foam to the right shape to hold whichever bow I have. I did that with a dual case to hold a french and a german, and works well