Bow conclusion

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by TenorClef, Dec 18, 2004.

1. I've been reading lots of threads about bows and pro's and con's of different types. Next year i'm hoping to join a community Orchestra at Durham University (UK) which invites non-university members(that would be me!).

Any way i finally decided upon this bow and i'd like some feedback on my final choice. Bad or Good?
  2. My stand partner in an orchestra I used to play in had a Jan Dvorak bow. His was pernambuco, unlike the one listed there, but it was a very good stick and I think he said he only paid around $400 for it. Maybe you could look around for a used pernambuco one in that same price range? I think they're fairly common...
  4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The better the Bow, the easier it is to play and the Better you will sound. Compare a few bows and listen to them on the same Bass. There is a reason why Bows can run from 5-15k for a good bow. I played a Lamy Bow a few months and can still feel it. It was 10K. I sold my Sartory Bow in 1990 after I had retired from playing and needed to buy a House. It did not have the original Frog according to the appraiser and was reduced from 10k to 6k and that was 14 years ago. That bow today is 12-15k.

I am using about a 25 year old Bow by Peter Eibert as I look for a master old or new Bow. I have not played anything under 4k that I like as much as my Eibert Bow. I recently played a great 'affordable' Bow at Arnold Schnitzers' place that sells for only $500. He also had one in the 3K range by a new maker but they were too close to call. I told him to have them make some in the heavy range about 150 Grams and I would be interested. This was about 136g. I use two bows now at 146g and 152g. I prefer the heavier weight as it is less work to dig in.

Call Arnold...... and/or..... make sure there is a trial period when buying through mail-order/ 'net type sales.
  5. Bow ordered two days ago from the USA and arrived UK this morning! Those guys at UPS don't mess about. I also got some Carlson rosin as i noticed it gets good reviews on this forum, put it on the bow but so far it does'nt seem to be catching the bow to good. The bow is really dark in colour to my other bow. My old Chinese bow i doubt is made of pernambucco but clearly made of some light coloured wood, any way the new Jan Dvorak bow has a nice feel to it, looks to be well constructed,its also name stamped so maybe it'll hold its value? To early to express an opinion as to whether it makes a different sound to my bass, i'll have to work the rosin in some more i think?
  6. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Jan 3, 2004
    My main bow is an old unidentified pernambucco. Its seemingly worthless :crying: but I love it anyway! :D Its starts the string quickly and its sound on my solo bass is absolutely fantastic. On the other hand, my friend uses a cheap brazilwood bow for solo work and has no complaints. I think its all about the feel to you and the way the bow matches your instrument. Anyhow, I believe Edgar Meyer uses a cheap bow that he has always used since his teenage years! :)