1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bow donations

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Selim, Mar 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I have a few bows that I will never use. Does anyone know a place where I can donate them? I live in NYC but would be willing to ship them.

GKon likes this.
  2. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    What kind of shape are they in? Are they wooden bows?

If they are in playable condition, then find a school with a strings program. Many of them tend to be exclusively French or German bow because that is what was initially purchased, but some do have both. I can't see too many schools turning down the donation of playable bows, and you might even be able to get a donation receipt for your taxes.

If they are not in playable condition, how much work do they need? If it is just a rehair and they are otherwise decent bows those same school programs may still be interested. If the bows require more than just a rehair, and even if that is all they require, some schools may not be interested. As much as a free bow sounds great, repair budgets are sometimes pretty thin.

If they need some work and they are Glasser bows, they have a refurbishment program for bows made by their own company where they fix them up for fairly cheap. I believe Glasser was originally based in NYC, but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

If they are not Glasser bows, Glasser passes those bows along to a bow maker who teaches rehair and repair courses. Not only are they not thrown out, but typically those bows end up in the hands of young players and schools who can't afford new bows after they get fixed.

Hopefully that gives you some options.

DC Bass, pcake, GKon and 1 other person like this.
  3. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Thanks. I have 3 bows, all in good shape with only one needing a rehair. I was going to spring for the rehair myself and then find a home for all 3.

DC Bass and GKon like this.
  4. RRR

RRR Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2016
    NYC
    Glasser is indeed still based in NYC - in the Bronx where they started out. Some of their bows are still made there.

5. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    There is a woman on trumpet list I'm on who runs a charity in Haiti, and she accepts donations of anything in the way of musical instruments. I always let people know this, and I collect things here and send them to her - she's near Boston - from time to time. It's not just instruments - these folks have very little, so half-used bottles of valve oil are wanted and needed, and I'm sure things like cakes of rosin that you've decided you don't want to use any longer would also be appreciated.

PM me and I'll look up the contact information if you want to send to her directly, or I'm happy to keep them in the corner of the family room here along with a guitar and some other things people have given me and I'll get them all to her.

-S-

DC Bass likes this.
  6. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Thanks, Steve. Now to figure out how to PM ...

7. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    PM received and reply sent.

-S-