Bow Down all Transistor Amp Users!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassturd, Mar 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. To all you Tube Amp Holders....You will understand the following:

Finally i got my Vintage 1976 Ampeg SVT Head re-tubed and let me tell you...that sound that I'm getting is so awesome. Its undescribable. You people who think that technology is getting good in the production of transistor or valve state amps and believe some day that an amp you buy will sound like mine....I'm sorry people.

A bit of advice. save up your pennies and buy one! you will never go back.
  2. I got a 74' and your right, it's the best out there.
    I used to have a SVT3, (solid state) and there's NO comparison. Where the solid state starts to crap out, (power wise) The SVT has only just begun.
    Do you have the original cab?
    I have the early straight cab with CTS alnico's. What a nice tone coming from those old speakers. (like gold)
    Only thing..........let's not tell too many players about this, we should keep it our little secret,:)
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I used to think, "If it don't glow, it don't go." But I got weary of all the upkeep costs and hassle.

Nice purchase!!!
  4. well I went from Hartke to Aguilar---Yeah , ain't ever going back to even hybrid style
  5. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Why should I bow down?
    I have a transistor Ampeg B100r, and it sounds fine to me.

You know what makes stuff sound good?
    Nice, new strings.

Ah...the thought.
  6. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I'm not bowing down - I'm a solid-state man myself. Then again, however, I don't like any grit whatsoever in my signal. Just pure, clean bass. It's been my experience that for what I want, solid-state works best.
  7. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    My head is still held high. I have no doubt that your new gear is fabolous - but I'm an SS man. Sorry.
  8. im getting a hybrid Labsystems <i>pure valve</i> preamp / 600w mosfet head. I aint bowing down to no-one :D

PS Labsystems is an Australian thing. Good amps.
  9. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Have fun carrying it around! That's why I'm a solid state man. SS is cheaper too. And there's alot less matence. And it's pretty indstuctable (drop your svt and you be ****ed!). For the hartke to aguilar guy, any aguilar equment far superior harte, because hartke heads suck.
  10. mine's 10kg. :) and i won't be dropping it.
  11. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    For the hartke to aguilar guy, any aguilar equment far superior harte, because hartke heads suck. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hartke heads dont suck, granted they arent the best on the market and have alot of high end hiss, but they dont suck, they put out a very good sound imho. I myself prefer separate power amp, preamp, signal processor. tube pwr and preamps. but for now my hybrid hartke will have to do. and its doing just fine
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Been there, got the t-shirt (and the near-hernia;))

Congrats. I'll stick with what I have.
  13. Been there too.
    Had SVT 11 and Mesa tube heads. Very nice, but too heavy and expensive to maintain.
    More than happy with my Ashdown ABM 500.
  14. yup, SVT sound is awesome. anything with tubes are awesome.

for those comments from you SS people about tone and the strings make your tone. I'm sitting here and laughin in your face. thats the most ridiculous thing i heard. go plug into a tube amp quick.
  15. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    What's with this elitistic bulltalk? If you like SVT's, fine, I like Brand X better, am I not allowed to do so? Well, I'm sorry, Mr. king-of-the-universe-and-proud-SVT-owner. :rolleyes: I am yet to hear one Ampeg rig that has MY sound. And you'd better believe it.
  16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

Damn Oysterman beat me to it.
    Tubes = good
    Solid State = bad ?

It's not that easy, and you obviously don't know much about this, or else you wouldn't post such nonsense...
  17. Yeah bassturd, its nice to know you like your amp but you could perhaps be a little less ... well, shall we say "more mature" about it ... :) putting yourself on a pedestal because you have an amp you like, and hassling other (professional and talented) players who know what they're doing and choose solid state gear, is just narrow minded ego stroking. IMHO of course.

And pickups, wood, bass, playing technique, even strings :) etc do make a big difference - even with TUBE amps, believe it or not.

Pride is good, but show some respect for the others, huh? Mutual respect and co-operation is what makes forums like this really work.

Just my opinion.
  18. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Name says it all.
  19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    [​IMG] (sorry, can't help it, and it's a nice lol!)
  20. I believe the saying is "Different strokes for different folks"

Me personally Iprefer the warmth and the general sweet harmonic distortion of tubes by far. If I found a lightweight SS amp the sounded like my Aguilar Id be all over it. But until the day...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.