1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bow Endurance

Discussion in 'Ask Patrick Neher [Archive]' started by Anton Avis, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Anton Avis

Anton Avis

Dec 13, 2016
    Recently I'm finding that when playing I have to sometimes stop and rest as my right arm aches. I'm not sure why but I suspect that it could be there is tension in my arm. On the assumption that this is true, how can I solve this problem?

2. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Do you have a teacher?? And do you play French or German bow??

3. Anton Avis

Anton Avis

Dec 13, 2016
    I do have a teacher and she encourages using the french bow but I'd much rather use the german style because my technique with the french bow isn't fantastic but the german bow hold looks easier to master

4. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am certainly not the pro in this forum to answer you, but it sounds like pinching/squeezing between the thumb and first two fingers. Michael Klinghofer's video might help: (or Rabbath's Art of the Bow) .... or (no slur on your teacher) switching to a teacher who is comfortable teaching German bow

5. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Whatever bow you pick, learn to use it correctly. Doing it wrong will cripple you eventually.