1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bow for electric bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by parker_mysterio, Mar 14, 2013.

1. parker_mysterio

parker_mysterio

Jun 8, 2009
    Just wondering what bow would be best for an electric bass? Violin, Cello or Double Bass? I have tried getting a bow like effect with the micro synth but it just doesn't hold up and I can't afford/store a double bass as much as I would love to

2. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    For a Bass guitar? I doubt any of them. You would need a significant radius to avoid playing all the strings at once.

3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Ebow is the way forward, no fuss no mess, no rosin needed so clean strings, no need for radius necks and bridges to allow the bow freedom to engage the strings. Its not the real thing, but with practice it can be used to good effect.

4. parker_mysterio

parker_mysterio

Jun 8, 2009
    Mainly only going to be using it for the top string so it will be angled to avoid playing other strings.

I have considered the ebow but have had issues with controlling the change in volume while playing

5. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    well ... it will only work with flatwound.
    I don't know if a violin bow will work, I only tried a DB bow.
    Rosin will stick to the string and rosin powder will be on the body of the bass which isn't fun to remove if you don't do it right after playing.
    Your string will be a mess where you used the bow.
    As you already know only the outer strings will be playable.

6. Phinn

Phinn

Aug 30, 2012
    I used to be a cello player. I'd say the electric bass is more comparable to the cello than to the upright double bass, physically if not musically.

But cellos have cutaways that make bowing possible.

Have you tried an electric cello? Maybe one of those might be a better option than bowing a bass.

7. Schmorgy

Schmorgy

Jul 2, 2012
    Canada
    Play it on a hofner ;)

8. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Have you tried a Pigtronix Philosopher King? In terms of tracking and/or threshold adjustability nothing I've tried (EHX Bass Synth, Eventide TimeFactor, Boss Slowgear clone) even comes close.