1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bow for solo/high e string

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Kristian, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    Hi everyone,
    I'm playing a five stringed double bass tuned in fifths from low c to high e.
    I’m playing a cheap but ok French bow right now but I'm thinking of an upgrade.
    I only play solo(no orchestral stuff) and I'm thinking I should go for a lighter bow(maybe even a Cello bow). Any thoughts?

2. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Do you do a lot of col legno or hitting the strings with the stick? You might be better off getting a light carbon fiber bow like the Finale or JT Jet

Kristian likes this.
  3. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    I had a German finale and liked it a lot. Now I've switched to french bow though. I just thought maybe I could get a nicer sound with a very light wood bow.

4. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    I think you'll struggle with a light bow to produce the volume you need for solo work. A lightish bass bow, ok, but a cello bow will probably not have the strength in the stick to transfer your arm weight into the string effectively

Kristian likes this.
  5. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    Yes, but I don't play "classical" solo. I play "jazz solo" and always with a mic. Sorry for not being clear

6. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    I still think you might struggle to get any weight in the sound. Volume can be dealt with by amplification, but the tone can't. There's a reason bass players use bass bows...

Kristian likes this.
  7. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Kristian likes this.