Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bow hair question

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by azflyman, May 19, 2004.

1. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Greetings,

How can I tell if bow hair is real hair or synthetic? I have a bow here I bought probably to cheap and am wondering if it is real hair.

TIA,

az

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Easiest way would be to get it next to a bow that you know has real hair and try to notice any obvious differences.

3. One pretty good method to tell them apart is to cut off ONE hair with a razor blade (don't pull it out). Take a match and set that hair on fire. If it is synthetic, you smell that familiar plastic burning smell. Horsehair smells like ... burning hair!

4. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    I had thought of that but was not really sure if it would work. I believe it is hair as it is not consistent enough to by nylon or some synthetic. I don't know how to bow now but will be taking lessons soon. I guess you get what you pay for, I did not expect much for $40.00. :eyebrow: I will try the burning test.

Thanks,

az

5. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I was told that bowhair quality was proportional to elasticity. If you cut a hair off, try pulling it. If it stretches for a while before it snaps then your worries should be small and you can get back to practicing.

6. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Your teacher can tell you what it is more than likely, and whether or nor it's time for a proper rehair. Then you get to get into the fun stuff of picking hair, meaning white mongolian or siberian, black, salt & pepper, or perhaps you'll be one of the rare red-hair cultists. ;) there are more flavors out there, and be sure to get your hair done by someone who speaks bass. Unlike basses, bows themselves are easy to do long-distance.
    Enjoy, and g/l!
    John

7. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    This bow is really cheap. I don't think I would waste my time with a rehair. I will probably use it if it is usable and if not buy one of All Hail Bob's bows or buy whatever Gary Upton suggests that is under $200. I am not really an arco player so this is an experiment (possibly in futility) :p I am starting the Simandl thing, we will see.

az

8. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Its real hair, really smelly burnt hair (one strand).

az