Bow Humming??

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Nick Bibeault, Feb 19, 2003.

1. I have heard of some technique where the player would play a line in a solo or something along those lines (i think they played it arco) and would simultaneously sing or hum the same line in the same pitch. Has anyone else heard of this technique? Could someone give me more info on it?

2. Check out some of Slam Stewart's recordings...

"The Rhythm Encounters with Red Norvo, Slam Stewart & Bucky Pizzarelli" for instance...

- Wil
  3. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Eugene "Mule" Holley is another guy who does that. I think he and Slam have done at least one album together.
  4. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I am occasionally asked by my teacher to sing the lines along with a piece I'm playing. I have to sing them an octave higher, but my lyrics are simple - I count out the beat.

I haven't heard Slam Stewart do it, but I'm sure I'd be impressed. I have to devote tons of concentration to pull it off.
  5. That is correct.
    I didn't know he was also known as "mule"
    Major Holley was best known for using the Slam Stewart trademark of singing along with his bowed bass solos, although he sang in unison while Stewart vocalized an octave above his bass. Otherwise, Major Holley (known as "Mule") was a fine supportive bassist. He originally played violin and tuba, but switched to bass while playing in Navy bands. He played with Dexter Gordon, Charlie Parker, and Ella Fitzgerald in the mid- to late '40s, and in 1950 did a series of duet recordings (never reissued) with Oscar Peterson. After a period working for the BBC in England, he toured with Woody Herman (1958), played with the Al Cohn-Zoot Sims quintet (1959-1960), and worked in the studios, in addition to appearing on some jazz recordings and having a stint with Duke Ellington (1964). Major Holley taught at Berklee (1967-1970), freelanced in New York, and recorded with everyone from Roy Eldridge and the Lee Konitz Nonet, to Quincy Jones; he even met up on two records with Slam Stewart.
  6. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks, Gruff.

I don't know where the hell I got the "Eugene" from. Still hadn't had my seventh cup of coffee yet, I guess.
  7. Thanks guys! I can't wait to listen to some of this stuff!