Bow in neck.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Funkize you, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    alright, First off im pissed...

Now, I have a lakland 55-01 that I havent played in quite awhile, so one day I pick it up and find the action is all messed up, upon further inspection I find a Bow in the neck right in the middle...

Is there anything I could do?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tighten the truss rod.
  3. At the top of this forum there is information about trussrods. Read that information.
    You need to tighten it up a bit, but you don't just want to start crankin'.
    Just remember to loosen your strings first, then tighten about 1/4 turn at a time. You'll probably need to go with a minimum of 1/4 to start. Don't crank that nut trying to eyeball the neck to get the bow out. You won't really know what you've got until you get the strings back up to tune and the neck settles in.
    Then bring her back up to tune and check neck relief as per the instructions you've just finished reading.

Take your time.. Might require a couple of adjustments, and "maybe" some saddle adjustments to dial it in right. This is something that has to be done from time to time. It's normal, not some sort of defect or problem.

4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    This is the first bass That I've owned for over 5 Months... I've had it for two years now, So I've never dealt with a set up.

How much would it cost to get the bass set up professionally?
  5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    OMG, The Truss rod was completely lose, No tension at all when I moved it, it was about to fall out!!!

I dont know what would cause that, because it wasnt like that when I put it up... :meh:
  6. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That would certaintly cause a lot of bow.