Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bow Length and Weight

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by David Kaczorowski, Aug 28, 2000.

1. I'll rephrase the question...

How long is your bow, and what does it weigh?

How do you think the length and weight affect your playing?

2. Pfretzschner model (are they all the same length ?), 133 grams. It's my first and only german bow, so I have no basis of comparison. It almost plays by itself; five "name" bassists have tried it and they love it. I don't know how much of that is due to length/weight and how much is due to the maker (Susan Lipkins).
    Maybe the sign of a good bow is that you just never think about it

3. My two main bows are a Prochownik (from Winnipeg) at 133 g, and a Reid Hudson (from Duncan, B.C.) at 130 g. Both are french bows (although I also have a Prochownik german bow, 127 g).

The Prochownik sounds much better with my bass, although I much prefer the feel and response if my Hudson. I suspect the lighter bow feels better because it is a little lighter, but I'm less convinced the tone of the heavier bow is better because of the weight. There are way too many chance variables for me to generalize too much based on these two bows.

I do resist the notion that heavier bows are generally louder. Many people seem to think this, but I'm not so sure. Your arm is way heavier than any bow, so I suspect a few grams here and there between bows is going to make a negligable difference when compared to the weight of a really relaxed bow arm. Weight will affect the balance and response of bow IMO. Heavy bows (around 138+ grams) make me easily fatigued and tend to be much more sluggish for quick strokes.

I do think it is very important to judge each bow as an individual entity, since even identical weight bows from the same maker can sound and play very differently.

Regarding length - I don't know - I've never really considered the issue before.