Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bow literature...

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Anon2962, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    I'm looking for a book which someone mentioned to me before, but I can't remember the name. It had pictures of great bass bows, and gave their weight and dimensions, and information about the makers. I'd also be interested to hear of a similar book about old basses - just to learn more about the big names worldwide. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Discussed in another "Bows and Rosin" thread labelled "Fetique Bass Bows." You're talking about the Chris Brown book. That thread has some mention of it and Chris that should allow you to follow up.

It's a very expensive book, BTW. You might want to see if you can peruse one before you make the decision to buy it.

3. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Your profile mentions that you used to own an Arvi bass. Out of curiosity, was that an older Arvi made by the father of the current maker, or a more recent bass (say, made in the last 20 years or so) made by Kai Arvi of Prince Edward Island, Canada?

4. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    It was a bass I rented for my first few months studying in Finland, and was made by the father of the current maker.... I think I asked you about it.... I've sent a PM...

5. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Pete, could you post a link to this book - can't track it down from the isb site...

6. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Sorry, I don't know of a link to the book or any info about it. As I said in the other thread, I "accessed" it in the most low tech way -- acquiring one face to face from the author at the Richmond ISB convention two years ago.

I had searched for it for a couple of years. The best way to locate one quickly would be just to go to Chris Brown.

7. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    After a long search, i found this info on the book:

Discovering Bows for the Double Bass
    Author: Christopher Brown
    Editor: Caroline Otis
    Translated by: Annick Deligny
    Our Price: $372.50
    iREWARDS Member Price: $353.88
    Book Unavailable
    * Eligible for FREE Shipping on orders over $39. +See Details.

from this site That's crazy expensive! (but thank god for that free shipping, eh?)

8. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Try to reach Chris directly if you're really interested in getting one.

Like I said, it's pricey. But there's nothing else like it.