Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bow price points

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Bob Rogers, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    I am currently using a Bob G Brazilwood. Looking ahead to an upgrade, it seems to me the next two price points where a lot of bows seem to congregate are at $300-$400 and $600-$800. Of course, there are bows at every price, but there seems to be "clumps" at those points. Is this impression correct? Are there any bow price points that I should be wary of? Points were there are a lot of bows that are substantially worse than those priced above and not much better than those priced below?

I admit that this post was prompted by a particularly crappy practice session last night where I slid down the steep part of the learning curve. I shouldn't look at equipment when I'm frustrated, but the question has been on my mind.

2. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    IMO, the price thresholds are more like under $100 (beginner player bow), under $1000 (intermediate player bow), $1500-$3000 (advanced player/professional bow), then the sky is the limit (i.e. figured snakewood with carved ivory frog and 18K gold eye!!)

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Not to be snobby or anything but plain looking Master Bows by Morizot, Bryant, Vigeneron, Picatte, Fatique, A.Lamy, Bultitude, Sartory and other greats are in the 3-15k range depending on the maker and the example of his work. I see Sartorys now from 9-14k. Bultitudes from 5-7k, Morizots from 2-4k and so on. The prices may vary on period, condition, originality and performance. My Sartory was sold 15 years ago for 6k without the original frog. It was an old Frog but not by Sartory. The Value then with the origial Frog for THAT bow was 10k. That bow today would push the envelope if it was all original. It was in mint condition for the 16+ years I owned it.

Modern Makers like Sue Lipkins get 5k for a standard high Quality Bow while Lucci bows by Giovanni or his sons run 2,500-4,500. I owend 2 of Lucchis early Bows from about 1975. I have a Lipkins bow on order since about a year ago. Only one more year to wait as she quoted 2 yrs.

The better the Bow, the better it grabs the string and helps you to play. Bows can make a huge difference in playability and Sound. I see a bigger difference in both from which Bow I use than which String I use. How much will you spend on Strings in a 5-10 year period? Makes you think, huh...