Bow question/ National trends

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by basswraith, Mar 28, 2005.

1. basswraith

Mar 10, 2003
    Which Countries around the world have both types of bows in the double bass community? IN Europe there are countries that will exclusively play just the Germ or just the French bows? I want to know which countries accept both.
  2. Well, I don't know about other European countries, but in France, the majority of bassists play french, of course.

However, I personally know two french guys who play german (out of a dozen bassists I know in Bordeaux), so I think that while there's a strong preference for french bows around here, it's not mandatory at all. I play french because my teacher does, but at one point he suggested that I try a German bow sometime.

My guess is that the situation is the opposite in Germany, and that the other countries are somewhere in between those extremes.

3. Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Indeed in Germany most people play German.
    In the Netherlands where I live the situation is a little more diverse but most play French ( i guess 65-70%) but that is mostly because most teachers play French. My own teacher playes German, as do I. I think in belgium they play mostly french. Probably for the same reason.