1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bow quiver

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by northpaul, Feb 22, 2008.

1. northpaul

northpaul Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2006
    New Jersey, USA
    Figured I'd ask this here, even though it is not so much about technique.

Has anyone found that a bow quiver dulls the sound of your bass? I was working on the bridge a little yesterday and took off my quiver for the first time in like 8 years and I noticed how much more the tailpiece vibrates with the quiver off.

I'm not sure I can give up the quiver because it is so convenient, especially in new music and jazz, but I'm wondering if the little extra boost in sound is just my imagination.

2. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    My quiver is loosely tied, so only the strings I use to tie it touch my bass. Maybe there's too much contact with yours?

3. james_menzies

james_menzies

Sep 25, 2008
    does the quiver touch your bridge?

4. quenoil

quenoil

Jan 20, 2007
    Minnesota
    I notice a definite dampening in sound with the quiver on my bass too. I often have it on out of convenience, but it is a definite compromise...

5. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    Instead of a quiver, I use a small spring clamp like this: http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/index/show/product/I1024545/name/clamp_spring_hd_2x3_plastic

I'm not sure of the size, but it is small enough to just go around the shiny part of a Manhasset stand.

I sawed one arm off at the end of the spring and the two yellow parts. Then sanded down the sharp pieces of plastic. Then added some elastics around the longer arm to hold the bow more secure.

I put this on the stand in front of me and I can switch from arco to pizz quite readily. It's also a convenient place to put the bow while putting a pencil mark in the music or taking a break or....

Oh yeah, it works best with a German bow.

6. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    you mean it's not ok to put your bow in the f-hole? :bag:

7. northpaul

Feb 4, 2006
    New Jersey, USA
    Hadn't seen these last few replies - I might have to try that. I have still been bouncing back and forth between using the quiver and not using it. I am going to try tieing it to my leg (no joke) for an upcoming recital. :eyebrow:

8. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I think it was Ray Brown that used to carry around something that looked like a tennis ball can with a base on it. He would put it next to him when he played, and he kept his bow in there. Might be something to check out. I'm sure one of the older TBer's would be able to shed some light on this subject.

9. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    After using a quiver for years, I noticed a definite difference in sound and feel for the better without it. I think it is the added weight that changes things. I rarely use it now, put the bow on a music stand or amp. I've used the spring clamp on music stand idea when doing shows. Very useful for fast pizz/arco changes. I think the quiver on music stand is fine if it works for you, but aiming for and getting it in and out of there is slower for me than hanging it from clamps. Much less arm movement.

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I have a bow quiver on my bass, but I think I'm going to take if off since I hold my bow playing pizz and don't really need to park it while I'm playing. I might look into getting a stand holder as that can be useful.

11. northpaul

Feb 4, 2006
    New Jersey, USA
    Hey check this out - I think I have something that works for me.

[​IMG]

It just uses two of those black document clips and it puts the bow at almost as convenient of a locastion as on the bass. I'm definitely going to use this for a while.

12. CT DB

CT DB

Apr 27, 2007
    Fairfield Cty, CT
    Hahaha, at least take the peanut butter with the knife in it out of the frame! Looks like a good set up though. :)

13. BassKatrina

BassKatrina

Mar 10, 2009
    Athens, GA
    I tie the quiver on my stool... because it does reduce sound. The tailpiece is supposed to vibrate. Having a quiver reduces the vibration.

14. Co.

Co.

Sep 10, 2006
    Germany
    I also stopped using a quiver. On gigs where I use the bow very often, most of the time I'm also using different kinds of preparation like chains, pieces of metal, kitchen tools, etc. so I use a chair or anything with a flat surface to put it all there. But this is not recommended for small stages.

15. us_soccer

us_soccer

May 16, 2007
    upstate ny
    I play almost all pizz (jazz) and don't need the bow enough to warrant a quiver. But just wondering -- do any of you resist getting a quiver mainly for aesthetic reasons? I personally don't love the look of it, but maybe that's just me -- so even if I might find it useful, I would probably look for another way -- put the bow on the a stand, or use a quiver tied to something else. Anything but attaching to my actual bass...!

16. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I've been using the bow in jazz, so I got a quiver. Tying it to my stand isn't convenient because I don't always bring a stand. I doubt that it can do much to damage the tone of my old Kay. In any event, damping the tailpiece is sometimes recommended for taming the amplified tone. Aesthetics? I also doubt that I could make my Kay look any worse.

17. mwiles30

mwiles30

Dec 31, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    It depends on the quiver. Mine is really lightweight and doesn't make extraneous contact with the tailpiece.

18. wiz0floyd

wiz0floyd

Sep 11, 2008
    Oakton, VA
    One of the most ingenious things I've seen is the contraption Donovan Stokes uses. I haven't seen it up close but it's basically a hook that goes through the frog so that his bow hangs at his side like a sword.

19. msabp

msabp

Mar 24, 2007
    Yes, quivers dampen your sound, but I use one anyway.