Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bow refinishing and restoration

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Chasarms, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I am curious if any of you folks have ever had a bow restored?

I am specifically interested in refinishing. I have a bow that I am quite smitten with. So much in fact that the other two sticks have been or are being sold. But, the stick needs a little TLC to look as good as it plays.

The finish is almost completely gone. So much in fact that I fear for the well being of the wood as much as I would like to see be more attractive. Otherwise, it is decent shape. The frog, tip and everything else is fine as is. Maybe a little cleaning up and polishing. But, otherwise, it is good to go.

This is the same bow that I posted the "bent bow" thread a while back. It has taken a few stray paths, but the stick is now straight as an arrow and plays like a dream. It sounds great also. The finish was pretty worn before, but the straightening, recambering process pretty much did it in. The stick is perfect now. It just looks really bad.

This a octagonal bow of fine pernambuco. Thought to be a factory bow from the German Roth shop made sometime in the first half of the 20th century. Different folks have valued it from $700-1,200 depending on how it ultimately ends up looking.

So, is dolling it up something to consider?

Would refinishing a bow change the way it sounds?

If so, anyone have any experiences as to how?

2. Blaine

Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    I think french polishing is the preferred finish on bows. In the one bow class I took we were shown to clean the stick and refinish with shellac. If the bow has a value like you said I'd get it to quality bow person and have it done. I'm suprised it wasn't done after recambering.