Bow refinishing and restoration

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Chasarms, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I am curious if any of you folks have ever had a bow restored?

I am specifically interested in refinishing. I have a bow that I am quite smitten with. So much in fact that the other two sticks have been or are being sold. But, the stick needs a little TLC to look as good as it plays.

The finish is almost completely gone. So much in fact that I fear for the well being of the wood as much as I would like to see be more attractive. Otherwise, it is decent shape. The frog, tip and everything else is fine as is. Maybe a little cleaning up and polishing. But, otherwise, it is good to go.

This is the same bow that I posted the "bent bow" thread a while back. It has taken a few stray paths, but the stick is now straight as an arrow and plays like a dream. It sounds great also. The finish was pretty worn before, but the straightening, recambering process pretty much did it in. The stick is perfect now. It just looks really bad.

This a octagonal bow of fine pernambuco. Thought to be a factory bow from the German Roth shop made sometime in the first half of the 20th century. Different folks have valued it from $700-1,200 depending on how it ultimately ends up looking.

So, is dolling it up something to consider?

Would refinishing a bow change the way it sounds?

If so, anyone have any experiences as to how?
  2. Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    I think french polishing is the preferred finish on bows. In the one bow class I took we were shown to clean the stick and refinish with shellac. If the bow has a value like you said I'd get it to quality bow person and have it done. I'm suprised it wasn't done after recambering.