Bow repair

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Bill Lance, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Do any of you NY area guys have a recommendation for somebody in Manhattan or SW Connecticut to do reasonably-priced bow rehairing and repair?

Many thanks!

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Kolstein isn't too far from you, I think. There's a guy named Jules Azzi is my neighborhood (Park Slope) who comes highly recommended, although he's more like $65 for a rehair.
  3. A rehair at Kolstein's is $50. I recently had my Charles Bazin repaired there. The tip was broken off and the frog was cracking along the slide (it was in that condition when I got it last year). Kolstein's put on a beautiful ivory tip, repaired the cracks in the frog and grafted ebony on to where small bits were missing for a very reasonable price. In addition they cleaned and polished everything very well (the bow had previously looked like it hadn't been cleaned or polished in decades) and replaced the worn-out leather and worn and frayed tinsel lapping with a new leather and silver lapping gratis. The bow looked so good when I got it back I almost didn't recognize it.
  4. Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    Try Jose DaCuhna (spelling?). He's on the upper west side around the 60's I think. He does excellent work. My last rehair was about a year ago and was around $30-35 if I remember right.