1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bow repair

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Bill Lance, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Do any of you NY area guys have a recommendation for somebody in Manhattan or SW Connecticut to do reasonably-priced bow rehairing and repair?

Many thanks!

Bill

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Kolstein isn't too far from you, I think. There's a guy named Jules Azzi is my neighborhood (Park Slope) who comes highly recommended, although he's more like $65 for a rehair.

3. A rehair at Kolstein's is $50. I recently had my Charles Bazin repaired there. The tip was broken off and the frog was cracking along the slide (it was in that condition when I got it last year). Kolstein's put on a beautiful ivory tip, repaired the cracks in the frog and grafted ebony on to where small bits were missing for a very reasonable price. In addition they cleaned and polished everything very well (the bow had previously looked like it hadn't been cleaned or polished in decades) and replaced the worn-out leather and worn and frayed tinsel lapping with a new leather and silver lapping gratis. The bow looked so good when I got it back I almost didn't recognize it.

4. Blaine

Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    Try Jose DaCuhna (spelling?). He's on the upper west side around the 60's I think. He does excellent work. My last rehair was about a year ago and was around $30-35 if I remember right.