Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bow Size

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Georgia Watt, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Georgia Watt

Georgia Watt Guest

Mar 2, 2002
    Ok, I have two german bows here, one 65cm in length and the other 70cm in length.

Any ideas on sizes?

2. It's not the size which is important, but what you do with it...

3. Georgia Watt

Georgia Watt Guest

Mar 2, 2002
    thanks for the insightful tip.

but really...how hard is it to put a ruler to your bow and help me out here?

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Where is the difference in size between the two bows?

5. Georgia Watt

Georgia Watt Guest

Mar 2, 2002
    Thanks Ray
    The difference is in length. One bow from tip to button end is 65cm and the other is 70cm.
    Hope you're ok with the metric system!

6. Sorry, but I couldn't resist...

I have two German bows - one is 29" (73.6cm) overall, 22" (55.8cm) of useable hair, the other is 29.5" (74.9cm) with 22.5" (57.1cm) of useable hair, and I also have a French bow which is 29" (73.6cm) overall, with 22.5" (57.1cm) of useable hair...

So - now I know the size of yours, and you know the size of mine - so where does that leave us?

- Wil

7. Georgia Watt

Georgia Watt Guest

Mar 2, 2002
    still stumped.

i need to know what to classify my 65 & 70cm bows as...1/4, 1/2, 3/4?

8. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Where are you measuring with the meter stick, tip to tip or hair length?

If I calculated correctly 29.5 inch = about 75 cm.

So, at 65 cm bow length it would seem a little short TIP toTIP.

But, if it's hair length 65 cm = 25.6 inches which is longer than average.

If i were to advertise one of your bows for sale I would say bass bow with xx cm hair length and let the buyer know what your are offering.

Just thinking about it I have never seen a bow calssified as 1/2 or 3/4 size. When I was a kid learnning how to play we had regular size bows. And we played 3/4 size basses too it never seemed to be a problem. Fourty years later I still play a 3/4 size bass and regular size bow (what ever that is) {German or French depending on what mood I'm in}

Remember it not the size of the Magician's wand it how the Magician uses the wand.

Joe

9. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    United Republic of Europe
    IT Professional!
    Is there difference in the size of the frog between a 3/4 and 4/4 German Bow?

10. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    There are a lot of different lengths for “full size” bass bows. Unlike violin and cello bows, viola bows have a little more variance, and bass bows have a LOT. Some makers tend to make bows a little shorter, some a little longer, some change it up every once in a while. Just like every double bass is a little bit different shape, every bow is a little different as well. With handmade bows, the head and the frog are usually slightly different from maker to maker, as they all do something a little differently, and it is kind of their signature on the bow. Stamps are really easy to fake, but head shapes aren’t.

To get back to length, ONE Pfretzschner German bow I have seen, that was a normal bow, was 68.5cm from tip to the end of the wood, NOT the end of the button. Buttons, especially German bow buttons can be very different in length. Most makers of modern German bows tend to aim for around 68.5cm in length, but this varies from maker to maker, and in some cases, stick to stick.

If you are looking to sell them, then hair length helps, but depending on the rehair, that can change a cm or two as well. My advice, is if it feels like a full size bow, has a full size frog on it, (frogs can be all different sizes and shapes as well) then list the hair length and the overall tip to end of wood length, and call it a full size bow. If you were to have a ¾ or ½ size bow, you would be able to tell the difference significantly, one would seem like a bow, the other would seem like “kid’s sized”.

11. Question: is a "3/4" size bow considered the adult standard, like the 3/4 bass is?

12. MaxJohnson

MaxJohnson Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    My bows are a D. Muniz, which is a 69.5 cm stick with a 57cm of usable hair, and a Tom Owen, which is 66.5 cm stick with 54cm of usable hair. The 3cm are a big difference. I don't know why Tom's bows are short, but they're nice!