1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bow wait?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by ctregan, Apr 5, 2009.

1. ctregan

ctregan

Jun 25, 2007
    Syracuse N.Y.
    How long does it usually take to rehair a bow?

I only have one bow and I am looking for a fast turnaround.

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I've had mine done while I wait. If there are no problems it should take around an hour.

3. If it needs to take longer, you should be able to get a rental

4. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    The place I go provides a loaner bow while the rehair is happening (which takes about a week; they're busy). This "loaner" is a real club (heavy, crude, and cheap), but it gives you something to saw around with.

It might be worth asking if such a loaner is available. It sure makes me appreciate my bow when I get it back...

5. ctregan

ctregan

Jun 25, 2007
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Brought the bow in yesterday; they did it in one afternoon!

Nice job by Hosmer violins, Fayetteville NY.

6. archetier

archetier

Apr 10, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Bass Bowmaker, Expert Bow Rehairs, Repairs, and Restoration.
    I do quite a bit of rehairing for the San Francisco Symphony and other professionals. If I'm not overly busy, I can turn around a rehair in about 4 hours. This includes doing the work and the time it takes for the hair to dry.

The hair needs to be wetted during the rehairing process. I find that the quality of the hair job is better if the hair dries naturally. This takes around 3 to 4 hours. Some rehairers rush the job using a alcohol lamp or heat gun.

As a side note, rehairing bass bows is at least twice as technical as rehairing a violin or cello bow. It's particularly challenging to get all the hairs to be at the same tension because of the width of the bass bow hair ribbon. Also, because of the considerably higher tension on the hair, any weakness in the bow rehairer's skill will become embarassingly exposed.