bowabiltiy of Spiro Weichs vs. Mittels

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bribass, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Weichs

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. Mittels

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Both the same

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  4. I don't like either for arco

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    I recently played a bass w/ Weichs.

I used Weichs for many years, but not for for the last 3 or so years.

I switched to Mittels and more recently going from Evahs, back and forth w/ Superflexibles for a more arco friendly hybrid experience than Mittels.

The Weichs seemed to be more arco friendly than I remembered and maybe better than Mittels for that. What is the general consensus here comparing them with Mittels in this regard?

Opinions?

Thanks, BG

2. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I prefer the mittels because they've got more "meat", but I think they bow pretty much the same.

Being higher tension maybe they require more bow weight or something to get them going. That may be an issue for some folks I don't know.

3. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    Hi Brian,

I'm assuming that you are referring to my bass, with the Weichs on it. It's been many years since I've drawn a bow across a set of mittels, so my recollection is a tad fuzzy. If I remember right, the Weichs seem to start a bit more quickly than the Mittels.

My wife and I enjoyed what we got to see of your show. We had the wrong address for the venue, and arrived in time to hear the last 3 or 4 tunes of the show. Didn't get to hear any of your arco work. I was curious about what my bass sounded like from the audience perspective. I was blown away by the fat bottom end that I heard. When I'm playing, all that I'm hearing are the mids, and the lows aren't apparent until you get some distance away from the bass. Probably your hands had something to do with that too.

4. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Brian's got game.

5. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    A few months back I had some Weichs on my Shen and was surprised that they bowed fairly easily. I thought that they must bow better than the Mittels, but I hadn't actually bowed on Mittels for quite a long time. I just recently got a lightly used set of Mittels and now have them on the Shen. I think that they bow just fine. I don't think they're any harder than Weichs, and the Mittels may actually sound better. Also, the extra tension is a plus for arco IMO.

6. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    I switched to Mittels back then for the same reason, but I'm thinking the same thing about the lower tension of Weichs after performing on Jim's bass.

BTW- 1000 THANK YOUS again Jim for the use of your really nice bass. I remember somewhere in TB a thread about how DBers are the best people. This must be true. Jim and other TBDBers have and generously loaned their prized basses to me on my performance travels on more than one or two ocassions w/o knowing me at all except for my posts here on TBDB. I am truly grateful and humbled by their generosity. Makes you feel like we ARE really bass brothers. So great to not have to fly w/ a DB these days.

Jim, I really felt badly that you missed most of the show. There was an all arco w/ piano / vocal tune as well as an all piz uptempo Jazz number w/ just scat vocal. Everyone said the bass sounded great. It is very well set up and easy to play.

I'm thinking that Weichs maybe a bit easier than Mittels to bow, especially the lower strings. My needs are for A and E strings that are grabby w/ the bow for Jazz arco solos, oom-pah type Klezmer arco accompaniment, classical playing as well as Jazz piz. A tall order.

Brian Glassman

7. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    In my 72 years on this planet, I have never met a double bass player who didn't treat me like gold. Just returning the favor.

8. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    In confession, I would switch to weichs if I were using G and/or D string that had low enough tension for me to feel awkward going to the mittel A and E strings (e.g., belcantos). Whatever low end I felt I lost for it, I'd just deal.

I usually don't use a full set of spiros on my bass...just the E, A and D strings. There's no good justification for it IMO, the spiro G is a fine string. I just like having more than one color above the tailpiece.

9. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    +1, when I grow up, I want to play just like Brian. :D

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021