1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bowed and twisted!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ricky Caboverde, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    hey guys! I just had a question that hopefully can be answered here. I've been looking for a good five string fretless for a while but have had no luck. I recently came across a really nice bass that has a warped neck with back bow. The neck is maple and has bubinga stringers. Is it possible to fix the neck if the bow is severe? Inwant to replace the fretboard with an ebony fingerboard. Is this possible to fix and if so how much am I looking at in repairs? I'm saving almost a grand on this bass so if it won't cost too much to fix then I'm ok. Thanks in advance for all your help

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    If the neck is that bad have a new one made for it.....t

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    If it is fretless it is easy to level :)

4. Bowed and twisted necks can be strighted but should be done by a pro. However, this neck may be prone to that condition and may return in time.

5. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Yeah...that's what I figured. I decided to just move on. I have my eyes set on a bass with a graphite neck and diamondwood fingerboard. I'm sure I'll never have to worry about bowing with this one :)