1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bowed neck to the left side.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mroku91, Apr 14, 2010.

1. mroku91

mroku91

Mar 24, 2010
    hi! I've bought 77' fender jazz bass (ash +maple). I've noticed that a neck is a lil bit bowed. E string is 3mm from the edge of fretboard at 7th fret and the G string is 5-6mm from the edge. but at first and last fret g string is closer to the edge than at 7th fret. and e string is closer at 7th fret. I've measured that there is 3mm bow (difference between ends of fretboard and the middle. I've heard that is typical problem with old fender basses. Can this causeany probems? or get worse?

2. dj5

dj5

Sep 17, 2009
    England
    Never heard of such a bow, but I'm sure it's possible.I'd take it to a luthier and get his opinion, but my feeling is that it should have done any moving it's going to do in 33 years!
    Just to be sure, and not to insult your intelligence, what are the measurements on the E side at the nut and 20th fret?

3. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    I know it is rather common for the bridge to be mounted slightly to one side or the other giving more fretboard clearance on one side but I have never heard of a bow like that.

4. mroku91

mroku91

Mar 24, 2010
    i don't have my bass at the moment but its something like this: e at nut 3mm from the edge 7th fret: 3mm and last fret: 4m. neck is bend to the left side looking from body. i had the same problem with my mij 62 reissue fender jazz bass. there was a 1-1,5mm bow to the left side. It wasn't any problem for me. low action, perfect tunning and no fretbuzz. 95/100 basist did not noticed that. but it was 1,5mm. now it's 3.

5. dj5

dj5

Sep 17, 2009
    England
    I can't visualise the shape you've measured I'm afraid. Are you absolutely sure it's not just poorly finished neck sides (although it's hard to believe, I suppose it's possible that if the edges were beveled by hand then there could be some inconsistency in the "straightness" of the finished edges.)
    All I can say is that I'm sorry, but I've never seen that in any of the basses I've had - necks tend to twist rather than bow sideways in my experience - that I HAVE had!

6. mroku91

mroku91

Mar 24, 2010
    I'll make some pictures when i come back to home.

7. mroku91

mroku91

Mar 24, 2010
    as you see:
    [​IMG] from this view neck is curved to the right

8. Is the neck one piece? As in no fingerboard? I had this happen on a bass, and I had the neck straightened, and an ebony fingerboard put on. This gave the neck more stability. And no more bow.

9. mroku91

mroku91

Mar 24, 2010
    don't look at string action and pickup height. I just opened the case, and didn't do nothing. Now fender is in luthiers hands;)

10. mroku91

mroku91

Mar 24, 2010
    [​IMG] It's like this (but not so huge:p)

11. Freez

Freez

Nov 8, 2008
    Detroitish
    Hey mroku91, what did your luthier say about this?

12. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've had a couple Fenders do exactly that. I got rid of them rather than paying for a new neck or a repair. Not worth it unless it's a collector's item.

13. mroku91

mroku91

Mar 24, 2010
    luthier will refret the neck. we measured the bow again with better tool and it was not so bad. the bow doesn't cause any problem while playing. I'm just afraid about the tunning on the frets. I'll write if got some news

14. not a bow but a twist. It could be all it does, but again this is wood and it may keep twisting. Since it is a 77 (my birth year!) it may be worth it for a luthier to remove the fretboard, plane it flat and put the board back on.....

15. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    I had this happen when I removed the neck of my Ibanez and put it back.... the shim got moved to one side and threw the neck off. So you may want to check for an uncentered shim

16. mroku91

mroku91

Mar 24, 2010
    No, this is not a twist. gap between string and 12 fret is the same for G and E string.