Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bowed neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fenderjazz68, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Ok, I bought a G&L L5000 bass on Evil-bay, it's a five string. I got it via UPS and came in with a bowed neck, I took it to a local luthier and alerted the seller to the problem.

Q #1 - The seller states the neck did not leave with a bowed neck. The bass was in a hard shell case with no bubble wrap or anything surrounding the bass. The case was inserted into a cardboard sleave box shows no external damage. Can a bass shipped UPS arrive with a bowed neck due to shipping ?

Q #2 - The local luthier tried to bring the neck back but has maxed out the neck adjustment with a bow still remaining. What options are available to fix the bow if any and approx. costs of the procedure ?

Q #3 - Has anyone tried to get insurance reimbursement from UPS for a similar issue ?

Thanks for any and all replies !

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Did the luthier think it could have happened in shipping? I would doubt it. I think the seller is full of it.....t

3. Climactic changes notwithstanding, if you max out a trussrod, and there is still a bow, or the inability to actually create a backbow by overtightenning, then yeah the neck is screwy.

Sorry, maybe you could put a repair claim in with G&L? I'm curious as to why the original owner didn't do the same...

so much for that bi-but neck construct, eh? :scowl:

4. It's 17 years old, it's past their warranty coverage. The neck is a 4 string neck made to a five string, kinda neat.

Lord knows what the prior owner did to it, their necks are always rock solid.

5. Ah. I didn't realize the vintage. Also, I guess I was kinda dogging G&L there, but I truly love their product.

I know there are plenty of bum necks out there, sorry you got one. MAYBE it's the 4 to 5 string conversion as the culprit?

6. It's original, they produced them like that, didn't make too many, about 400. Maybe they found issues with the idea that made them abandon the idea ?

7. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    It sounds like the neck was sold to you and shipped that way, especially if the truss rod arrived already maxed out.

I would try taking the nut off of the truss rod, and then putting a few washers on the end and put the nut back on. This spaces the nut back to where there is threads available to try and pull the neck back into compliance.

8. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Forget UPS, you'll never receive any money for any kind of repair work. They have the best bureaucrats in the business spending 10 hours a day on ever possible excuse in the book

Cheers

9. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I'm fairly confident that UPS is not liable. There is no breakage, just a bowed neck with a maxed out truss rod. This really could not be cause by shipping in any way that I know of.

There are methods to take a bow out of a neck other than the truss rod by using heat, etc., but not all guitar techs are familiar with these operations.

10. I'll have to try and find a good luthier in my area that knows how to do this.

Well, after many basses bought off Ebay, I guess I finally got burnt.

11. Went to see the bass today, the luthier said no to it happening during shipping.

12. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Can anybody see how that could be possible?